Project Electric Bass Boat - Advice Needed

The Mad Hughesy

Hi everyone,

My brother and i have decided we want to buy an old tinny and fix it up as a bass boat for North Pine Dam. Most of the time it will just have 2 people in it, but on occasions the whole family would come out. The 2 biggest questions i have is....

what size boat would be best and what size electric motor would be needed to push it along.

In my mind, something around the 3.75-4m range would be comfortable enough. Just don't want it to be overly crowded if we had more than 2 people in the boat. But at the same time, he bigger the boat the more weight there is to push through the water. 

On a side note, does anyone know of or have a tinny and trailer for sale? we are looking around the $500-$1000 region to start with, then build it how we like it. Plenty on gumtree but they are all a tad small (around 10ft). Doesn't have to be flashy, just a solid hull that we can work on.

For safety stability you need a flat bottom boat up to 4m or a v bottom over 4m, small v bottom boats are a death trap, if your decky sneezes you could end up in the water.

Forthe family you need at least a 4m

Also for safety you need 2 elecy motors ( they can stop without warning and it could be a long way back to the ramp paddling.

You need for 12v a battery for each motor plus a spare

Or for 24v two  batteries for each ( more economical less power used )

2 hours ago, Dinodadog said:

My setup new cost $9000   3'9m  boat, trailer,5 batteries,2x 24v elec motors, sounders, rod holders and extras(not counting fishing gear)

WOW no wonder you catch so many BASS with  set up worth that much just for the Dam..... Glad your invested in your fishing style...

Work out what you wand and do a saved search on gumtree and be prepared to act quickly there is a fair bit of **** out there but also some great buys. Do your homework as what seems good at first can quickly add up in price when you add in extras 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cleveland/tinnies-dinghies/aluminium-boat/1204486564?utm_source=transactional&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=shared_ad

970401512__20.JPG.b0bdb2fc624c315f10f86921a849e02b.JPG

You will have to factor in price of a trailer and may have to modify trailer ( Can you do this yourself)

See it is only a short shaft transom which I hate as it lessens your freeboard particularly as you will be carrying extra weight in batterys.

The older clarks,stessyls bookers and quintrex hulls are all a very strong hull built out of heavier gauge ally and you can safely cut out the centre seat to make more room but be aware that you then have less buoyancy.

Motors are also a matter of choice if you want spot lock feature ( Strongly recommended ) you are confined to minnkota ( Has their own dedicated service centre)or motorguide ( You are at the mercy and competence  of your local mercury dealer) and or haswing which has brisbane service centre but I think they use the signal from mobile towers for their location so would be useless in areas with no mobile reception.

What your real worry is what happens once your warranty expires I have had bad experience with 7 year old motorguide as spare parts were no longer available. Reckon haswing would be the same.

If you do not want spot lock you cannot go past watersnake good dealer service and have 12 volt 65 lb thrust motors in both bow and stern mount. Had a giggle the other day with BCF having a big blurb advertising a 65lb bow mount with hand held remote advertises for$649 reduced from $999 whilst dinga has the same motor including a mounting plate reduced to $579 from $699.

Cheers

Ray

On gumtree today

4.3 metre quintrex tinny

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

4.3 metre quintrex tinny

$850 Negotiable

I have for sale my old 4.3 metre Quintrex on a professional tilt trailer.

The boat is an oldie built in about 1979.

I am the third owner with the first being a professional fisherman then the Sandgate Sea Scouts.

I have owned the boat for about 25 years.

The boat is no beauty as It is well used but it is still a good solid old hull with forward steering.

The trailer is a professional tilt trailer that will require only minor repairs around the back end.

The trailer is fitted with holden hubs and comes with 13 inch holden wheels.

It is fitted with a 55hp chrysler outboard which is not running. It was last running about 10 years ago when I had it at creek marine at enoggera having a reco starter motor fitted. (cost of the starter $225)

We fitted the starter and had it running while tuning it up but turned it off when the smoko truck arrived. After smoko it would not start (no spark) and we think the magnapower module (black box) on the side of the motor failed.

Creek marine did not have one so I towed the boat home intending to hunt one down.

Circumstances changed and I never got around to it and boat has been sitting in my back yard ever since.

When the motor was running it pushed the hull along really well.

I have a centre opening screen in the shed that I was going to fit, which will go with it, but when engine died I lost interest.

I have all the usual inclusions, 2 oars , anchor and chain and rope and light board also to go with it.

I am negotiable on price as it just needs to go to a new home.

With a bit of work you can have a boat that will last another 30 years.

If you want any more information either give me a call or drop me a line via gumtree.

Cheers.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2018 at 8:17 PM, rayke1938 said:
 On gumtree today

4.3 metre quintrex tinny

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

4.3 metre quintrex tinny

$850 Negotiable

I have for sale my old 4.3 metre Quintrex on a professional tilt trailer.

The boat is an oldie built in about 1979.

I am the third owner with the first being a professional fisherman then the Sandgate Sea Scouts.

I have owned the boat for about 25 years.

The boat is no beauty as It is well used but it is still a good solid old hull with forward steering.

The trailer is a professional tilt trailer that will require only minor repairs around the back end.

The trailer is fitted with holden hubs and comes with 13 inch holden wheels.

It is fitted with a 55hp chrysler outboard which is not running. It was last running about 10 years ago when I had it at creek marine at enoggera having a reco starter motor fitted. (cost of the starter $225)

We fitted the starter and had it running while tuning it up but turned it off when the smoko truck arrived. After smoko it would not start (no spark) and we think the magnapower module (black box) on the side of the motor failed.

Creek marine did not have one so I towed the boat home intending to hunt one down.

Circumstances changed and I never got around to it and boat has been sitting in my back yard ever since.

When the motor was running it pushed the hull along really well.

I have a centre opening screen in the shed that I was going to fit, which will go with it, but when engine died I lost interest.

I have all the usual inclusions, 2 oars , anchor and chain and rope and light board also to go with it.

I am negotiable on price as it just needs to go to a new home.

With a bit of work you can have a boat that will last another 30 years.

If you want any more information either give me a call or drop me a line via gumtree.

Cheers.

Ian

offer $400 and see where it goes. 

Archived