Scarborough Reef

Towknee

Got the boat out on Saturday to take my son out (turns 5 in a few months). Put the boat in at Shorncliffe and decided to head up to Scarborough Reef.

Only caught underside fish (Bream & Squire), a single winter whiting plus a few Sharks.

Son caught a shark on his little kids ugly stick combo by himself. Shark was around 70cm long, it made his day and he can’t wait to tell his friends. I was impressed that the little combo did the job. 

is it worth fishing Scarborough reef? Or is it fished out and I should try else where?

looking forward to finding a few spots close by plus a few further out also!

Was great to finally get out on the water again!

young fella happy = successful trip!

there are good fish there from time to time but especially on weekends it cops a lot of pressure.  boat traffic is the enemy anywhere on the bay.  there is isolcated ground right along the peninsular, would definitely be worth having a look around away from the main reef areas and finding some rubble/weed away from the crowds.  This would definitely increase your odds of something a little more exciting for dad.

I always found better results around mud island than up at scarborough.  fish as light as you can, find some structure away from the other boats and use the freshest bait, western, northern and eastern sides are all worth a look.  definitely works best on an incoming tide in the afternoon approaching dusk.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/03/2019 at 2:01 PM, Towknee said:

Young bloke would of stayed out all day! So looking forward to many more hours in the boat. 

Just catching up on old posts. Awesome trip mate well done. How much fun is it putting kids on fish. 🙂

How did he go telling everyone about his shark? 

He took a picture for show & tell at Prep. Still tells people about it 🙂

We had a couple of hours free yesterday morning so put the boat in (just off Clontarf) and caught heaps of undersized fish. His rod handling skills are coming along! 

Was great weather yesterday! Would of loved a bit more time out there. 

Archived