First fish on SP's

pepe66

Fishingkid and I went out in the backyard yesterday afternoon to try again using some SP's in Nudgee Creek. He managed to catch a small whiting on about his third cast and boy was he excited. He was using a 3\" nuclear chicken. I am still waiting to catch my first on SP's.

Sorry no pics as it was embarassingly small but there will be pics for the first legal fish either of us catch.

• 1 month later...

When I caught my first SP fish (small...very small...bream) I immediately texted my wife saying "first fish on plastics...now who thinks it wasn't money well spent?". I then realised that I'd bought new rods, new reels, new lines, learned new techniques, bought books, bought dvds, and adopted a completely new way of fishing which meant I couldn't actually just kick back and relax.

My days of handlining from a jetty at gerroa while chatting to a mate seemed a long, long way away.

Still, I love em!

My first fish on a plastic was about 1.5years ago or so. It was a Pike:lol: I caught over 30 in that day all on lures.

My first fish on a hard body was a small Bass from Borumba Dam about 8-10 years ago. Can't remember exactly when:blink:. I got 2 Bass on that day. Only about 17cm or so each:lol:

I was going through the fishing bag the other night when my brother was up from sydney. Just kept pulling out packet after packet explaining the difference, the purpose, the subtleties of each brand and type. Then got into the jig heads. I'd been accumulating kit over some months - just a packet here, packet there. I had about 30 different types of plastic - fish, wrigglers, sticks from many different companies. My wife said "god, when you get into something you get into it". She wasn't happy. I looked down at the table and realised she was right! I looked across at my little boy (14 months old - we occasionally fish with him in a pram around the brisbane river) - I said - do you want his dad to know what he's doing? Or do you want him coming home telling us about someone else's dad?

Not sure there was an argument to be won. But if there was, I think I won it. Sort of. :-)

My first fish on an SP ? A nice little Bass.

well had the kids at Baroon, on the way back to the ramp I was letting Alex have a drive, spotted this "god awful" looking bright orange Shad in one of their tackle boxes, you know those Kmart "$10 with all the gear you need" tackle boxes.

I thought I wonder how these things work, so rigged it on my daughters rod, and had a cast. 1st cast to the edge of the lily pads, coz thats where people had told me you should cast lures, and they exploded, my ever fish on any type of lure - first cast!

P1030129.jpg

Daughter wanted "kids rules" to apply, IE her Rod Her fish - bugger off I said, first fish on a lure and its mine! She was not happy!

P1030118.jpg

Mine was a little moses perch at Noosa. Followed soon after by a brace of flathead at Ningi Creek. From then i was hooked.

Funnily enough i still had bugger all luck in the fresh with plastics. Might try and do something about at Hinze or Baroon in teh coming weeks.

Angus

• 2 months later...

i'd neevr fished plastics until i went to the kimberlies to live. they were cheap so i thought i'd give it a go. first session caught 4 barra, all on plastics. after that, a heap more barra. over here, three fish and i can recount all of them. a squire around mud, a parrot at peel and a chopper tailor down near the pin. a hell of a lot of cast for no reulst though!!! need to practice i think...

Hmmmm,

First fish on a softie, that's testing the Alzheimer's. I may be wrong (there might have been some freshwater captures earlier) but, I think my first fish on softies were a couple of flathead from Fingal beach. Went there on school holidays many, many, many, moons ago.

Won't say when, it will reveal just how close to the geriatric care ward I am.

(oh all right then it was 1973).

Don't have a photo from then but here's a more recent one. A little barra caught in 1980 on a chartreuse curl tail grub, a Scrounger actually.

[img size=226]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Early_eighties_gorge_country_barramundi_sml.jpg

post-108-144598448856_thumb.jpg

About 2 years ago I had 3 hours to kill op at Maroochy while my wife was getting her hair done, went into a local Tackle store and bought an entire combo, line, jig heads, leader, flouro pink Berkley grubs ( this was the advice given to me by "Trappa " the store owner, thanks mate ).

Found a spot near a bridge in between the Tackle store and hair dresser, landed 1 Bream and a Pike.

2 years on and countless $$$ my wife wishes she never made me go with her

Schultzy wrote:

Hmmmm,

First fish on a softie, that's testing the Alzheimer's. I may be wrong (there might have been some freshwater captures earlier) but, I think my first fish on softies were a couple of flathead from Fingal beach. Went there on school holidays many, many, many, moons ago.

Won't say when, it will reveal just how close to the geriatric care ward I am.

(oh all right then it was 1973).

Don't have a photo from then but here's a more recent one. A little barra caught in 1980 on a chartreuse curl tail grub, a Scrounger actually.

[img size=226]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Early_eighties_gorge_country_barramundi_sml.jpg

1973 with softies, was that the original Mister Twister era?

Yes indeed, Mr Twisters were the rage.

Can't recall if Vibrotails were around then. If not, it was not long afterwards. There was plenty of stuff coming in from the US like Scroungers, Creme lures, Burke, etc.

Single tail Mr Twisters and Vibrotails were my favourites back then. Caught dozens of species on each. They were partcularly hot for lizards, barra, tarpon, kingies and trevally.

It had been going on before then though. I remember reading some of Vic McCristal's articles in the sixties in which softies were mentioned. Softies in this country have tended to go through periods alternating between boom and obscurity. They might have beaten that cycle this time around though.

so whats everyones basic pb's for sp's? Mine are pretty dismal.

Bream. 27cm

flathead 36cm :S

whiting 19cm :S

Big eye trev 36cm

flounder 21cm lol

Eastury cod 32cm.

moses perch 26cm

and a few other weirdos that i duno are worth mentioning :P. like a 44cm catty from the river :(:D

Only started with SPs a few years ago. Never realy got the hang of it (Still dont). But if I recall my first was a Cod about 35cm.

We were anchored off Kepple Is, waiting for a tow home,had some time to kill. we were in about 20ft of water and had been feeding the fish while I was cleaning our catch, so I thought "What the heck I'll have some fun here".Caught about 30 fish (all sorts) that mornin not big but all good fun.

Not my first but my biggest, A nice Coral Truot. [img size=328]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Scan20013.JPG

post-742-144598448866_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

tacklebox wrote:

I finally caught my first at Baxter's Jetty (at the mouth of Cabbage Tree Creek) on Saturday! :woohoo: 27cm pike on a tiny 1.75" paddle tail. Not the bream or whiting I was hoping for but a fish nonetheless. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010868.jpg

From what I've read Pike are the best Jew bait there is?:blink: Followed by Taylor. Only what I've read?:unsure:

My first SP catch was at Jacobs Well, a nice fat Flounder. Yumm

Jayson

first fish on a plastic in fresh was on this wierd thing that looked like a industrial strength condom called a zara spook i think it was, in the early '70s in the nerang river

first in salt was a good size big eye trev at the mouth of tallebudgera creek on a twin tail mr twister

first bream on sp was 20cm bream at the pin on a 2"gulp shrimp in natural at easter

Archived