Sign in to follow this  
benno573

Nz Duck Hunting Trip

6 hours ago, benno573 said:

Hey mate. 

As far as eating them, generally breast them out and that’s it. The leg and thigh meat has great flavor but the texture of a rubber band so is generally not worth the effort for what is generally a very small recovery. Same story with the turkeys unfortunately - not even Hagar the Horrible would be able to get through those drumsticks - tough as. You can also breast a bird in about 90 seconds vs a lot of plucking and gutting so the ROI doesn’t really add up.

i did manage to shoot a Muscovy duck which are also feral over there - basically your general white domestic duck - they are a much better option to roast if that spins your wheels. Other than that mallards and paradise shell ducks were the order of the day.

cooking - duck nuggets are awesome, just breast meat with a coating and fried, I did some breast slices wrapped in bacon which were really good as well. Turkeys -  the tenderloins are marinated/coated and cooked, the bulk of the breast is minced and turned into burgers, turkey mince bolagnaise, meatballs and stuff like that. 

YUM!!! So keen.

We ate a few wood ducks when I was in my teens. They were rubber balls and put us off. 

23 hours ago, benno573 said:

Unfortunately not (legally) mate. If it’s commercially prepared meat you’re able to declare it and bring it back but not wild game unfortunately. Definitely mad fun though.

Very interesting as my kiwi uncle brought over some smoked marlin that he caught a few years ago (although I am not sure if he declared it or not .......... ).

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Very interesting as my kiwi uncle brought over some smoked marlin that he caught a few years ago (although I am not sure if he declared it or not .......... ).

haha I bet he is not the first, or the last, Kiwi to bring undeclared smoked fish to Australia.

If it was cured I can't see why it would be a bio-security risk. How was it? 

38 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Mate, what a top trip. Such beautiful countryside, but oh those hills....

Popping out of those lay-out blinds gives me a giggle for some reason. Almost Pythonesque.

How'd the knee hold up ?

How good is Ninja.

Yep I agree how good is Ninja. It would be worth doing the trip just to spend time with the doggo. 

@ellicat - you would not enjoy the hills at all.  i struggled a bit with a couple of them, knee held up fine, just took my time.

@kmcrosby78 - i doubt that it would have been declared... and you'd probably get away with it 95% of the time.  the thought did cross my mind as the venison salami that Nath gets made is mindblowingly good - but i didn't want to risk losing one if they took it off me - would be such a waste!

@Drop Bear @ellicat having a ninja dog opens up so many more shooting opportunities that would otherwise not exist - mostly around flowing rivers and that sort of stuff where downed birds do not sit and wait.  for the rest he is still good to have as it saves me jumping on the kayak (see video) or climbing out of the layout blind and doing the fetching!  Also he is very quick to grab a crippled bird so it can be sorted out immediately.

he is also trained as a game indicating dog - he will scent deer/goats in the bush and locate a downed animal easily as well.  he is strong and fit enough that he can carry about 10kg in his saddlebags as well - handy if you drop a big red deer or a mob of goats and it's a long carry out.  also means he carries his own food and water in.  makes the whole hunting experience over there a lot easier - did take about 12 months solid of training as well as constant ongoing "top ups" to get to this point though.  if you check out some of Nath's other vids you will see him in action on things other than ducks.

you do have to be careful around ninja though. often when the action is a little slower in the maimai he will get bored and a cold wet nose will start to very forcefully burrow its way under your arm and all of a sudden a labrador head will appear on your chest. 

Please login or register to view this image

1 hour ago, benno573 said:

you do have to be careful around ninja though. often when the action is a little slower in the maimai he will get bored and a cold wet nose will start to very forcefully burrow its way under your arm and all of a sudden a labrador head will appear on your chest. 

I could take that haha. What a great story. I did not know that dogs were able to be so well trained. 

What I wouldn't do to get some of that venison salami! 

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I could take that haha. What a great story. I did not know that dogs were able to be so well trained. 

What I wouldn't do to get some of that venison salami! 

Mate it is eff good. Best salami I’ve ever eaten. Also good are goat and garlic sausages, venison saveloys, duck nuggets, turkey burgers, venny steaks, whole roast goat or venison legs on the Weber, abalone (paua) fritters... we don’t really go hungry hey...

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, Drop Bear said:

haha I bet he is not the first, or the last, Kiwi to bring undeclared smoked fish to Australia.

If it was cured I can't see why it would be a bio-security risk. How was it? 

Delicious - was put into a dip with chives from memory.

On 22/05/2019 at 6:52 PM, benno573 said:

Mate it is eff good. Best salami I’ve ever eaten. Also good are goat and garlic sausages, venison saveloys, duck nuggets, turkey burgers, venny steaks, whole roast goat or venison legs on the Weber, abalone (paua) fritters... we don’t really go hungry hey...

Wow Yum!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By Gad
      Taken from the latest SSAA Email newsletter
      Hunters are being encouraged to take part in Australia's first ever hunter survey to help give our country's hunting organisations valuable information to use when dealing with government and other groups in hunting-related discussions.
      The University of Queensland, with help from the Game Council NSW, has consulted with SSAA National and other hunting organisations to develop the survey.
      Hunting is a valuable conservation tool and this survey will provide accurate figures as to how many Australian hunters are helping deal with problem animals in our country.
      Hunting is a popular pastime in Australia and our hunters have become a significant political voice, as well as a growing retail market. There are more hunting magazines for sale than ever before and participants at hunting expos now number in the thousands.
      Because many forms of hunting in Australia don't require a licence and most states don’t licence hunting, accurate information of hunting across the country is not available. Most OECD countries can put an accurate figure on the number of hunters in their country and how much time and money they spend on their recreational activity; however, there are no figures like this available in Australia.
      By completing the Australian Hunter Survey, you will provide valuable information on your hunting activities, the equipment you use and the time you spend in the field, and all your responses will remain anonymous.
      To be part of this survey go to

Please login or register to view this content All results from the Australian Hunter Survey will be made freely available online at www.deerresearch.com.au For further information, email j.hoy@uq.edu.au
      We encourage you to spread the word among fellow hunters to take part too.
      It's your hunting future, so make sure your voice is heard!
    • By Drop Bear
      Ok I know this is a fishing forum but I have been encouraged to put up a hunting report from yesterday. Many AFO members enjoyed some Venison at the Christmas party at lake moogerah last weekend. 
      This is a bit of a report and a bit of a blog. If hunting is not your thing perhaps don't read this. I am more than happy to have a respectful debate about the ethics of hunting so if you are opposed to it please feel free to express your concerns. I couldn't get many photos as my mate doesn't understand and I don't do it for trophies but there are a couple of photos below. 
      Anyway onto the report thingy.
      With Christmas fast approaching I was really keen to put some venison in the fridge. I enjoy eating it more than any other meat. The steaks are tasty and good and stews hearty and delicious. Great in a curry and great as a roast. The kings and queens cant be wrong and I am not surprised at all that they used to hunt down poachers.
      I phoned my mate in Kilcoy and he said there were a few around. There are quite a few Red dear up that way and when the weather is really dry they come down to the flats to get water and a feed. We had had a few storms lately so it was no sure thing that we would get one as they can be way back up in the mountains and national park. It takes about and hour and a half to get there from my house so an easy drive but the Gateway is always a pain. oh well.
      We headed off from my mates place at about 5pm as it was a hot day and didn't want to get out earlier and drove to a farm he knows. A few bumpy tracks and we made it to the first hill and there they were. A mob of about 12 boldly standing in the open about 350m away. I don't like to take speculative shots so we creeped closer to about 200m where we felt comfortable. Unfortunately our approach spooked them some what and they wondered off down into the gully. Stunning country here with a massive rock escarpment fringing the grassy paddocks. We got out of the car and headed off on foot shouldering the 7mm 08.
      The wind was not ideal. It was at our sides and a bit varied so we took the long route up the hill to the south of them. They had not gone far but were again about 300m away but not as aware of us now. we made it behind a hill and got about 100m on them and found a great rest on a tree. They were in some scrub now. I don't shoot for antlers and only for meat. Unfortunately there were no spotty ones in the open but a 2 year old velvet buck gave me a good front 3/4 shot. It was still 200m and it was a bit windy so I didn't feel confident in a clean head shot.  I aimed for the front leg and took the shot. It took off. We had a deep forested gully in the way and followed the Buck and saw it slowing up as it went over the next hill. I took some bearings on where we last saw it and we picked our way through the heavy scrub and lantana up the other side. There was a blood trial and we followed it down into the next steep gully where the deer was lying. It was a clean kill.
      I had to drag it out up this gully for about 50m to get to where we could drag it down hill. This took me ages as the country was so tight I had to do it on my own and  I could only skootch it about 2m at a time before having a break but finally made it to where we could field dress it.
      He was a very handsome 2 year old velvet buck. A good size and very heavy to drag. We field dressed it and dragged it down the hill to the ute. It was a long way and very dirty tracks so sadly the neck and tender loins got dirt and sticks on them and had to go to the dogs. 
      We drove back to my mates place. He is a master butcher and had it skinned and broken down in under 20 mins. I placed the pieces on an old sheet... (perhaps not too old but don't tell mrs DB) in the back of the ute and headed home. It stayed on the sheet over night and into the fridge at 4.30am this morning. 
      A fantastic day. 
      I had some Venison for lunch today gladly picking the back strap. Delicious. A tinge of game but really yummy and tender.
      Angus ordered the Liver so I have this for him in the fridge.
      It really is about as good as it gets for ethical meat. Free range, organic and these are feral animals. 
      Thanks

Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By rayke1938
      From another site

Please login or register to view this content

Any one that hunts or has passion for the outdoors may wish to read this E petition and hopefully sign it.

Unlike fishing where most public water ways you can fish, Hunters in Qld as general rule cant hunt in state forests in QLD.
    • By Gad
      taken from SSAA email newsletter 16-11-17
       29 October 2017
       David Dunstan, who lives 30 minutes from the nearest town in Bungowannah, grabbed his .22 rifle from his safe when a man armed with a knife and wood entered the home where his wife and children slept at 3am on September 14.
      On Wednesday, October 25, his efforts paid off. David received a letter from NSW Police, informing him that he could collect his firearms and licence. The letter stated, “It is important that you understand that the legislation prohibits you from possessing or using firearms for the purpose of personal protection”.
       Full story: Please login or register to view this content
      HIGHLIGHTED words: WTF…. 3.00am,armed intruder in your home, wife and children present, unloaded rifle used as a deterrent.
      If the law abiding guy, (who obviously keeps his ammo locked/stored separately from his firearms as required by law) had stuck a hunting/kitchen knife between the low-life a/hole`s rib cage, I guess the authorities would have charged him with murder?, unlawful wounding? and the a/hole could have sued him.
    • By Gad
      Lever-action shotguns to be reclassified in Queensland from next year

Please login or register to view this content Lever-action shotguns in Queensland will be classed with pump-action and self-loading weapons, and subject to tougher restrictions, under a reclassification of firearms to take effect from March next year.
      Currently, lever-action guns are included in the lowest level Category A.
      The guns will be reclassified to Category B if they have a capacity of five rounds or fewer.
      But those weapons with a higher capacity will be shifted to the more restricted Category D.
      Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the move would limit access to only a small number of high-capacity shotguns, in line with a COAG decision last year to strengthen the National Firearms Agreement (NFA).
      "This won't prevent primary producers from eradicating vermin, but ensures that all high-capacity lethal firearms can only be possessed by the very small number of people who have a legitimate reason to do so," Ms Palaszczuk said.
      "New South Wales, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory have all legislated to reclassify lever-action shotguns in accordance with the revised NFA.
      "The other jurisdictions are at various stages of implementation."
  • Latest Topics

• Donate

Please donate to support AFO. We appreciate all donations!

Thanks
  • Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

• Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links