Good Rock Fishing Spots Around Moreton Bay/gc/sc/bne

AUS-BNE-FISHO

hey mate,

there is no right or wrong answer to this question.  bread and butter species are found on any rocky headland, rock groyne or breakwall.  your two hour drive window basically opens up anything from byron to noosa.  the best thing to do at this time of year is to try and be in a spot when most people don't want to be - i.e. early morning, night time etc.  crowds can be a killer, especially if there is limited space in a location because of wind and waves.

take a couple of different rigs and baits, definitely a few lures etc as well.

remember your fishing licence in NSW.

Spots to try (roughly south to north)

broken head

cape byron

brunswick river mouth

cabarita

hastings point

fingal

tweed river mouth

snapper rocks

tallebudgera creek mouth

burleigh headland

southport seaway walls

point lookout on straddie

cape moreton on moreton isl

caloundra headland

mooloolah river mouth

point cartwright

point arkwright

noosa river mouth

double island point

thes best spot depends a lot on tide, wind and swell conditions, on the day, for example fingal head in a 15kn southerly is not safe whereas mooloolah river mouth is safe in a 30kn southerly.  I like river mouths in rougher/windier conditions as there is usually a more sheltered side of the breakwall.

hope you get onto a few.

Cheers,

benno <'><

Gday benno

Thanks for all those spots, i do go on holidays (normally annually) to Brunswick Heads and i do catch some bream, flathead, whiting and i have seen some people pulling up luderick. Though, the past times we've been there, the conditions have been dud (big swell and wind) so we've just done a bit downstream on the river. Still fish for jew and crab there too.

Thanks for the other spots, i might try to plan something to there. It's just whether someone could be bothered to take me out there, cos normally if we aren't on holidays we'll just go to somewhere on the Brisbane River. (still quite successful, but very inconsistent with threadies/sharks). 

You must be very experienced to know all those spots, i am in awe of your knowledge lol. Would you tend to use lure like soft plastics, metals or surf poppers. With rigs, i would assume star sinkers (paternoster rigs) and running sinker rigs to be the go?

Once again, thanks a lot for all those spots, they will be a great help for my fishing. 🙂

Cheers Hamish

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2019 at 1:03 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Gday benno

Thanks for all those spots, i do go on holidays (normally annually) to Brunswick Heads and i do catch some bream, flathead, whiting and i have seen some people pulling up luderick. Though, the past times we've been there, the conditions have been dud (big swell and wind) so we've just done a bit downstream on the river. Still fish for jew and crab there too.

Thanks for the other spots, i might try to plan something to there. It's just whether someone could be bothered to take me out there, cos normally if we aren't on holidays we'll just go to somewhere on the Brisbane River. (still quite successful, but very inconsistent with threadies/sharks). 

You must be very experienced to know all those spots, i am in awe of your knowledge lol. Would you tend to use lure like soft plastics, metals or surf poppers. With rigs, i would assume star sinkers (paternoster rigs) and running sinker rigs to be the go?

Once again, thanks a lot for all those spots, they will be a great help for my fishing. 🙂

Cheers Hamish

Sorry Hamish, haven’t been on for a while owing to other commitments on the home front.

rigs - I usually fish a running sinker to a swivel then a trace to hook/s to suit the bait. Usually a single for baits like prawns, mullet fillet, worms, pippies etc, snell or gangs for bigger baits, pillies, gar etc. I always have a 2nd rod with a slug rigged up ready to go - you never know when something is going to show. I usually spend a bit of time throwing a slug around even if you can’t see fish actively feeding. Really erratic retrieves work best, you’ll pick up tailor, trevally, huge dart and the odd kingie, queenie etc. have even caught mulloway on slugs before. You’ll sometimes get mackerel or tuna in close enough to have a crack as well.

id be happy to take you along on a future trip - just might be a little while before I get to head out.

good work on the threadys though - I have been trying to get one land based for ages and haven’t quite cracked it yet. 

Hi benno573

Those rigs sound good, I like the idea of having a slug ready in case of activity or just flicking them out seems to get a lot of fish of the rocks. When you are flicking them though, what weight would you normally use (25grams, 75grams, 10grams, etc)? I'd love to come on a rock trip, I've hardly ever fished off headlands, etc because we don't normally get the chance.

Yeah, threadfin fishing is very hard, I reckon the key is tide, (full moon, big runs/tides), live bait and night sessions. I've only got one land based before, the other was on a kayak fishing on a mud bank.

Cheers Hamish