Fluro With Surface Lures

bulldogs195461

Hi bulldogs195461

I am clueless on the effects but fluorocarbon will sink and mono will float. If you are using ultra light poppers mono may make the line look more natural but fluorocarbon will be harder to see.

7 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Sorry. Don’t even know the difference between the two! Lol

Hey GregOug

I don't know much about the lures but I do know a bit about the fluorocarbon. Mono has stretch (unlike braid) but unlike fluorocarbon it floats. As well as this (floating line may be an upside but this one isn't) it has glare/is easier to see in the water, therefore it may hinder presentation of some lures, or if you are fishing ultra light it may be better than mono. Basically, the difference is mono is visible in water (not to us really, but apparently to the fish) and fluorocarbon isn't. 

Hope that helped,

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yea if you really need to use surface lures it will work but if your planning just to do surface lures on the day stick to a mono leader but if you not sure if you want to use soft plastics or bait or surface lures on the day just use fluorocarbon it’s very versatile compared to mono it doesn’t make a huge difference between the 2 when using surface lures if your using light leaders like 4-8lb as They don’t sink as fast as stronger fluorocarbons .general rule of thumb 

fluorocarbon for soft plastics. bait and small hardbodies and vibes 

mono for surface lures bait and some hard bodies 

basically to sum it all up

the reason you use fluoro with soft plastics is because it sinks and so does the lure if you use mono with soft plastics it ruins the action of the lure and doesn’t sink probably And looks crap

the reason you use mono with surface lures is Because it floats and doesn’t really sink that much or at all when slack. if you use fluorocarbon with surface lures it will pull the lure underwater a little depending on the breaking strain lower fluorocarbons don’t often do this and you can usually get away with using light fluorocarbon leaders as they don’t sink as fast

Hope that helps that’s just my general experience with the 2 lines as a leader and spooled whole