Local River Session #1

Brodie_S

Sorry  for ripping off your title aus-bne-fisho lol

anyway yesterday I rocked up to my local river which is about 2km from where I live at 3pm .I had 2 rods set up a bait rod and a lure rod

bait rod daiwa aird x 2-4kg and shimano cazna 2500 with 10lb braid and 10lb leader 

lure rod atomic arrowz bream surface rod 2pc and daiwa aird lt 2000 with 6lb braid and 6lb leader 

Anyway i baited up my bait rod with some garfish I caught and froze not to long ago placed my rod on the wooden planks the tiny wharf was made out of with my bail arm open so my rod doesn’t go in the water  Then set up my lure rod with some 2.5 slim swims no hits for around 40 minutes then all of the sudden I see line coming off my bait rod a fish is taking the bait I quickly but carefully place down my lure rod and walk over to my bait rod the fish is still running  but slowly I set the hook keep in Mind most legal fish feel small on this rod anyway I set the hook and  get a few  really good headshakes and a little run which tells the fish is decent as I get the fish closer to the wharf all of the sudden the hook comes flying out of the water and the fish got away and the disappointment hits my like fraight train I then once again bait up the rod and throw a cast 40 metres off the wharf theres a drop off where sometimes flathead bass and school jew hang around I then pick up my lure rod and start flicking around my slim swim once again 15 minutes later no hits I see a few mullet jump out of the water and a bowel wave following them I quickly cast out and get right in front of the bowel wave perfect cast soon as the lure hit the water I see my line quickly shoot I set the hook and hook up to a decent size flathead which was 48cm I find that a bit strange because the water was fairly deep where the mullet were jumping out I fought a jewfish or a small bull shark was chasing them the flathead would have been right on top of the water because soon as the lure hit the water I got hits It didn’t even sink to the bottom or even close to the bottom anyway I brain spike it and bleed it out I get a few more hits on the bait rod as the sky darkens but only little fish they didn’t get hooked . Next time I do this I will bring my phone for photos also I wasn’t sure to put this in saltwater or freshwater as the river I was fishing is brackish mostly freshwater people catch freshwater fish like bass the odd carp and bull sharks but also saltwater fish like flathead bream and jewfish 

Hey Breaming with bro

Haha, that's OK. 😉 

Good job on the flatty, sounds like you're going to be eating well. Shame about the lost fish, it seems like it would've been an OK one. When you say bull sharks, in the Summer, they may be something you want to target. Apparently on light gear they go very hard (mine have been caught on 30lb). 

Cheers Hamish

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Breaming with bro

Haha, that's OK. 😉 

Good job on the flatty, sounds like you're going to be eating well. Shame about the lost fish, it seems like it would've been an OK one. When you say bull sharks, in the Summer, they may be something you want to target. Apparently on light gear they go very hard (mine have been caught on 30lb). 

Cheers Hamish

Yea my local rivers filled with bull sharks but yea maybe one day I will try and learn to catch shark a lot of local bull shark fishermen use atleast 80lb 300 metres of it and a 10 metre fluorocarbon leader between 40-200lbs depending on how big your bait is And a wire trace .a lot of them say you can get spooled with lighter gear cause even if you trying to catch little ones it’s not uncommon at my local river to get a good size female 

2 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yea my local rivers filled with bull sharks but yea maybe one day I will try and learn to catch shark a lot of local bull shark fishermen use atleast 80lb 300 metres of it and a 10 metre fluorocarbon leader between 40-200lbs depending on how big your bait is And a wire trace .a lot of them say you can get spooled with lighter gear cause even if you trying to catch little ones it’s not uncommon at my local river to get a good size female 

Evening Breaming with bro

Yes, OK. Looks like your river has some avid shark fisherman fishing it. If you do go for sharks, you might want to eventually invest in a heavier combo if there is a high chance of a larger one as you don't want to be losing it 😉. Also, it's good to hear that your Stradic has came, hopefully it's tested out on some bigguns soon. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Yea the Stradic will be my main reel and I will be using it for bread and butter species up to 5kg  .the Stradic is extremely smooth smoother then I thought it be because of all the seals and all the bushings in the reel the reel has 6 ball bearings and also the roller bearing but I think it can be upgraded to 10 or 12 +1 ball bearings but I can’t be bothered to upgrade it because it’s all ready extremely smooth to begin with I never fought i would say this but it’s almost to smooth