Cast Net

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hey all

Well, my father and I have decided it would be a bit easier if I also had a 7ft net lying around, if I ever wanted to use it off the yak, or off any beaches. The ten footer is a bit to big to throw off the yak but I can manage off jetties, or basically anything that's more stable.

I've sent a message to someone on Gumtree, for apparently a net in 'good condition', for $45 (negotiable). 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nudgee/fishing/cast-net-3-4-mesh-7-/1254346958

If this doesn't go to planned, or if anyone is willing to/knows of one in better condition, I would love to know about it. Thought I'd send a message so someone doesn't snap it up before me, but I posted one on here so I don't buy it, and then someone tells me I could've gotten it cheaper! 😉 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

P.S. Sorry to clog up the threads/activity with this thread 

• 2 weeks later...

The person  who had one up for forty-five bucks never got back to me (I sent two follow up messages and they've seen them), so I'm guessing they already sold it.

Lucky I found one for twenty dollars, (in 'good' condition). Only problem is it's in Cambridge, Tasmania. Lol. Shipping will probabnly cost twice as much!

Cheers Hamish

13 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I have found that if something is a good deal it will sell quickly on Gumtree and you are better off phoning them Hamish. There's been a few castnets pop up on there lately so you should one pick one up. Good luck.

Yep, I realised I should've kept my eyes open while waiting for that other one because then I would've snapped the $20 net up quickly, kmcrosby78. 

I've also been looking through some other things and found some decent deals on reels, rods, etc. They'd be the perfect thing for anglers starting off as they look in good nick and are cheap enough so if you break it it doesn't really matter! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

What style of net are you after Hamish - drawstring, bottom pocket, etc? I check Gumtree for fishing gear almost daily (bit of an addiction, thankfully the frequency of my purchases has dramatically decreased now I have way more than I need ..... 🙂) so can let you know if I spot something suitable. You're after a 7ft net I assume? What's your ideal maximum budget?

1 minute ago, kmcrosby78 said:

What style of net are you after Hamish - drawstring, bottom pocket, etc? I check Gumtree for fishing gear almost daily (bit of an addiction, thankfully the frequency of my purchases has dramatically decreased now I have way more than I need ..... 🙂) so can let you know if I spot something suitable. You're after a 7ft net I assume? What's your ideal maximum budget?

Cheers for the offer KM. I'll be after a 7 footer (but if a really good deal on an eight comes up I'll take it). I don't mind the normal bottom pocket net, as I'm just collecting bait. My budget is $50 max, as I'm just looking for a good second hand deal and they seem to come up too (and it can't break the pocket money bank which has not had any money put in since my Birthday... I'm a bit lazy today 😉). 

Cheers Hamish

Just now, ellicat said:

What about that $20/hr job you were going to do ?

Right. I'm doing the first term for service hours for my school (I'm trying to get the gold award which requires 40 hours service). I've started trying to hit up my dad for money though but he wants me to finish off this term as 'probationary' dunny cleaner 😉 

Cheers Hamish

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

I've got the phone number for the Fair Work Ombudsman if you need it. haha

I will make sure to get it off you to file a complaint if I do not start to get paid next term (3 weeks). Then again, I may get in trouble. They might not like the fact someone who isn't even a teenager is calling and complaining 😉 

I may also invest in a quality heavy set up (50LB) for sharking and heavy fishing in general if I have enough by Summer holidays...Then I just need to try and catch something on it 😜 I reckon I'll save for a boat first though and put that other idea off for a couple years. 

Cheers Hamish

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nudgee/fishing/cast-net-3-4-mesh-7-/1254346958

Could combine it with a day trip fishing at either Nudgee or off the jetty at Shornecliffe Hamish 🙂 

Hey kmcrosby78

Lol. That's just the one I was looking at in the original post. It looked like the best deal ever, but I guess it was to good to be true (never got a response back so assuming they sold it!).

8 hours ago, Towknee said:

I do like taking my two young boys fishing at the Shorncliffe Pier. We haven’t caught anything awesome, but enough to keep them entertained! 

Hi Towknee

I've been there once on a family bike trip, it is massive! The locals there knew what they were doing and were fully set up, but I only had a few measly SP's and my telescopic line. They, on the other hand, had a heap of lines, and one of them was even using pike gut for bait!

Cheers Hamish

42 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I've been there once on a family bike trip, it is massive! The locals there knew what they were doing and were fully set up, but I only had a few measly SP's and my telescopic line. They, on the other hand, had a heap of lines, and one of them was even using pike gut for bait!

They are the ones who catch the Mackerel and hook up to the occasional longtail! 

It is a big walk, I’m on the verge of buying a trolley/ cart to get out there.

13 hours ago, Towknee said:

They are the ones who catch the Mackerel and hook up to the occasional longtail! 

It is a big walk, I’m on the verge of buying a trolley/ cart to get out there.

Hey Towknee

I have a fishing cart to get to the local park, (not sure if you know). It works very well, and once you mount some rod holders on it it's great!

Here is the thread I did about making it - 

Cheers Hamish

Hey all

Well after numerous nights spent browsing away on Gumtree, I finally found a good deal - an 8 foot net (Surecatch), for $40 - brand new! 

It was at Viccy Point, so we drove the approximate 1 hour drive down to get it (it felt like a good hour anyways). After picking up the new net (from someone who didn't want to answer the door and just left it out the front 😉), we decided to go to a boardwalk. I can't remember the name, but the boardwalk was closed so we went on a small track. The first part was to a nice seat, then to another track. That track lead out to a giant salt pan, which I wish had some water in it! 

IMG_7023.JPG.c12661417a3ac92943c007331b84e573.JPG

We got back and realised it was only the first 20 metres of the boardwalk closed. Bugger! We could've done it 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

P.S. I'll post a video of me throwing the net when I soak it in sugar soap so it pancakes better.