Netting off south eastern bribie

Jono4500

Was out at bribie this morning, at woorim beach catching absolutely nothing, noticed a few 4x4s towing 4 - 5 metre boats full of drag nets heading up the beach. I assume they were chasing the tuna that kept dodging my well placed baits and slugs or possibly tailor. Anyone know more about this? Curious about the process, could clean up on tuna and would be a spectacle to see nets hauled up on beach.

Yep have seen the commercial fishos working bribie for tailor.

Rust bucket 4x4 / dory boat and drag net. On a good haul they will bring in hundreds of fish / bycatch.

Breaks your heart when you are wetting a line and just want enough for dinner but they have a right/license to be there and make a living.

Just makes bag and size limits redundant when this type of fishing is allowed.

3 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Most likely targeting tailor at this time of year. Mullet on the ocean beach is pretty much done by August (peak season is June, July). Both mullet and tailor are classed as sustainable; are monitored for sustainability (since 1999) have recent stock assessments and strict regulations including the same size limit as recreational fishers (30cm sea mullet, 35cm for tailor). The commercial fishers have restrictions on the length, drop and mesh size of their nets too, as well as total allowable catches for their region. Plus they have vessel monitoring on each of their vessels and have to pre-report their catch to a registered landing location.  So very tightly managed compared to rec fishers.

Whether you agree or not commercial fishing plays an important role in our society; it employs and supports local communities and provides fish to people that cannot catch it themselves.

FYI. I am a fisheries scientist and also a keen rec angler that mainly fishes in SEQld. Happy to answer any questions you may have regarding commercial fishing and sustainability. DM me if you like!

Andrew

Cool stuff Andrew. Agree with you sustainable commercial fishing has its place and supply chains bring jobs and economic growth to communities . Just wouldn't mind areas for commercial netting and recreational fishing to not overlap. Yes I am biased I know that.

Liken this to the rec fisho bringing a knife to a gun fight. 

Things like stopping commercial netting in the Fitzroy river, have hugely improve rec fishing for Barra right in the city centre for my Rocky friends 🙂 

How good that they can cast a lure for 1m Barra during their office lunch break.