IDs of these fishes, please

Mission

7 minutes ago, Mission said:

Many thanks, Davostephens and Hamish.

With these IDs, now I can look into Fish species identification website for their details

Thanks again.

All good Mission, I hope it all goes good for you. They are sone fine catches as well so good job.

For a lot of species looking through the DPI website will give you positive ID’s.

Cheers Hamish 

11 minutes ago, Mission said:

Many thanks, Davostephens and Hamish.

With these IDs, now I can look into Fish species identification website for their details

Thanks again.

I love my "Grant's Guide to Fishes" 

There are heaps of apps but that one is my fave. 

You can purchase signed copies from their website. Same price as other online shops. 

http://www.grantsguidetofishes.com/

7 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Gday Mission

I believe from top to bottom they are 

Stripey - Incorrect, this is a trumpeter.  -1 point

Remora - Incorrect, this is an eel tailed catfish.  this is -2 points as it would be a painful lesson to try and stick an eel tailed catfish to your leg.

Bullrout- Correct. +1

Grunter (barred) - Correct. +1

Luderick - Correct. +1

Cheers Hamish 

So all up out of 5 possible marks you got 0.  This will be noted on your end of year report.

Ok 

the first fish is a trumpeter

the second fish is a striped eel tailed catfish not a remora or a standard catfish

the third fish is a speices of scorpion fish not a bullroat aka freshwater stone fish

the 4th fish is a Javalin grunter 

and the 5th fish is a luderick/blackfish or as the oldies call them a very disrespectful racist slur which I will not be saying

14 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

It’s the name of a fish and means nothing more (well in that instance) 

I get that but the actual meaning of the word has no relation to colour despite what people think if it was due to colour it would be a fair but the actual meaning of the word means to be a bad or ignorant person that was adapted to be used a racial slur . Also I don’t want to turn this threat into a argument of the meaning and different intentions of the word so pls don’t quote me I respect everyone’s opinion on this but this is AFO not CNN or fox news

Thanks all you guys.

I thought all of these fishes are small species and can not grow too big, now I know I was wrong.

After google "trumpeter", find that they can grow to a big one. So the fish in fig 1 is an infant!

I went fishing 15th Dec night at Riedel park boat ramp. The water was very dirty. When I cast a net for live bait, I got fishes in fig 3, 4, 5 and some little breams in the first cast. Neither prawn nor herring. The second cast, I got 2 mud crabs and little breams.  The 2 crabs were stacked together doing something good for their specie. They are solid but too small, around 15 cm. I had to cut some line and ruin my net to release them. All let go since some are too small and some I do not know what they are. Funny things, fishes and crabs but no bait I got in casting net after all.

After all I had to use chicken meat as bait, get 5 good breams and a truck of .......huge catfishes.

Eel tailed catfish's picture from DPI website is somehow different from the picture 2 above? 

eel-tailed-catfish.jpg

1 hour ago, Breaming with bro said:

It looks like Davo hasn’t responded yet but it means freshwater fish FW for short bull rout can’t live in saltwater 

I’m pretty sure they occasionally get washed down when it’s wet so can adapt.

Not 100% so don’t take my word, I should probably check my facts before I post!

Cheers Hamish 

3 hours ago, Mission said:

I thought all of these fishes are small species and can not grow too big, now I know I was wrong.

After google "trumpeter", find that they can grow to a big one. 

Funny, I have grown up calling them trumpeter but looks like they are technically from the grunter species - looks like yours is a ‘four line striped grunter’ which is slightly different to a ‘eastern striped grunter’ which has six lines. Both of which have other names that involve trumpeter. 

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I’m pretty sure they occasionally get washed down when it’s wet so can adapt.

Not 100% so don’t take my word, I should probably check my facts before I post!

Cheers Hamish 

There are a lot of similar speices that look the same as bullroat but aren’t .bull roat can only handle very little salt water so it would highly unlikely that a bullroat would be caught at a river mouth it’s most likely a speices of scorpion fish maybe a rabbit fish or even fortescue . A few of friends have stepped on bullroat and it’s quite nasty  

1 hour ago, Mission said:

Another question.

The Javelin, the 4th fish pictured above, is Barred or  Silver?

The spots arranged in vertical band along flanks look like Barred javelin.

barred-javelin.jpg

but the dark blotches on the dorsal fin and the fin shape looks like Silver javelin

silver-javelin.jpg

Confusing?

I’ve always thought they were the same fish but have different colours due to different environments I may be mistaken . I know when flathead live in the mud or weed they have a brown body and yellowish/white colour on the other side but flathead caught in the sand have a colour much closer to a light brown with a slight yellow tinge and a plain white colour on the other side a lot of people think these are sand flathead but often they are just dusky flathead just different body colour due to environment you can’t tell a flathead speices by colour only by the tail pattern and the shape of the flathead . That is the only way to tell a difference between flathead speices  

5 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I’ve always thought they were the same fish but have different colours due to different environments I may be mistaken . I know when flathead live in the mud or weed they have a brown body and yellowish/white colour on the other side but flathead caught in the sand have a colour much closer to a light brown with a slight yellow tinge and a plain white colour on the other side a lot of people think these are sand flathead but often they are just dusky flathead just different body colour due to environment you can’t tell a flathead speices by colour only by the tail pattern and the shape of the flathead . That is the only way to tell a difference between flathead speices  

Thanks, mate. However, these two javelins have different dorsal fin shapes, especially the second spine, from the DPI pictures and descriptions.

cheers