A Mackerel trip with no Mackerel

marty

I went out thru the Seaway as well on Tuesday. Headed down to Mermaid. Was lots of fish busting up but only seen 2 spotties landed out of 20 plus boats. I got 2 shovelnoses and some under size fish. Mite follow you next time.                        Was great conditions tho.

PS  Did you see the 2 fighter jets come up the coast about 9.30am

Yes Kenne, was certainly a great day on the water. I tried around the Pinnacles area early, but with Mackerel fishing if they don't show up it can be very quiet. That is the main reason I went through the Seaway as it gives a number of options to try different species and techniques.

We were on the water till about 10:30 but I don't remember seeing any fighter jets (maybe they went by when we were hooked up haha). 

Hey Marty were them fish caught at the pinnacles? We usually fish there but was so good went to Mermaid. Came back to the pinnacles about 10.00 and there was a big school of bait fish busting up but no good .Came back to the seaway for the turn of the tide and still no good. So went to the back of wavebreak and had a beer.

I was driving the boat back from Mermaid and my mate was sitting faceing the back of the boat and tapped me on the shoulder and i stopped. These 2 jets came up  behind us then over us then gone in about 4 seconds. Just as I put the throttle down to take off again there was a big BOOM. I thought oh s##t I've blown up the motor. But it was from the jets.    Never know what you'll see out there.

No - all our fish were caught out wider. As you said, it was such a good day we made the call to go wider. Can't tell you the exact spot as it is a closely guarded secret amongst a few close mates, but I can tell you it is around 40m deep (check the first photo for confirmation, plus look at the bait stacked up).

I have had jets do a low fly by when fishing up the Pin - blink and you miss them. Never enough time to get the camera out.

Nice one Marty what a good recovery from the slow morning.

Very new to fishing the seaway area. Are there any reefs that are pretty consistent with holding mackerel?

I've never caught one and am busting to catch a spaniard or a spottie (or just anything at this rate!)

Do you usually troll around a reef for a while, then stop and burley up if you see signs of fish?

Mermaid is probably the most consistent reef close the the Seaway, although if you run that far down you may as well join the crowds at Palmy. This year Burleigh Gravel Patch has been better than previous years, especially for Spanish. It also depends on the time of year - the more northern reefs fire later in the season - 12 fathoms and Pinnacles off the Seaway are good in Feb and March - but not everyday as I showed!

For the reefs other than Palmy, yes I usually motor around till I find a good show of bait - and also gives me a chance to see if other boats are catching them in certain spots too.

On 05/03/2021 at 4:09 PM, marty said:

Mermaid is probably the most consistent reef close the the Seaway, although if you run that far down you may as well join the crowds at Palmy. This year Burleigh Gravel Patch has been better than previous years, especially for Spanish. It also depends on the time of year - the more northern reefs fire later in the season - 12 fathoms and Pinnacles off the Seaway are good in Feb and March - but not everyday as I showed!

For the reefs other than Palmy, yes I usually motor around till I find a good show of bait - and also gives me a chance to see if other boats are catching them in certain spots too.

Champion thanks for that I look forward to getting into it!