Going up to Whitsundays tomorrow for some Barra and Pelagic fishing, any of you recommend any of my current lures?

Lava

Hey guys I’m going up fishing in the Whitsundays in a couple days. I’ll be fishing from a boat salt and fresh water. It’s been a long time since I’ve used only lures. Always been a bait fisherman. I’ve fished heaps before but I’m very novice when it comes to lures. Well over the years I’ve actually got myself a good little collection of lures but don’t really know what ones are best for what fish etc. I know what they do obviously like which ones are best for trolling/shallow divers, floating/sinking etc. Just not which ones are the best and for what fish. I know my golden bombers work great up on the gulf for Barra. But I’m interested if anyone has a keen eye for any of the ones I have that think would work great for around the islands or in the creeks around prosperine and Faust dam. 

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/0HSu7d4

19344A05-2272-4AF7-9A44-3550F37609C6.jpeg

76227244-E15E-4311-BB64-816811543FE5.jpeg

73977335-2CB6-42F9-BAAF-A6E19E5FB74C.jpeg

• Lava changed the title to Going up to Whitsundays tomorrow for some Barra and Pelagic fishing, any of you recommend any of my current lures?
24 minutes ago, Lava said:

Hey guys I’m going up fishing in the Whitsundays in a couple days. I’ll be fishing from a boat salt and fresh water. It’s been a long time since I’ve used only lures. Always been a bait fisherman. I’ve fished heaps before but I’m very novice when it comes to lures. Well over the years I’ve actually got myself a good little collection of lures but don’t really know what ones are best for what fish etc. I know what they do obviously like which ones are best for trolling/shallow divers, floating/sinking etc. Just not which ones are the best and for what fish. I know my golden bombers work great up on the gulf for Barra. But I’m interested if anyone has a keen eye for any of the ones I have that think would work great for around the islands or in the creeks around prosperine and Faust dam. 

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/0HSu7d4

19344A05-2272-4AF7-9A44-3550F37609C6.jpeg

76227244-E15E-4311-BB64-816811543FE5.jpeg

73977335-2CB6-42F9-BAAF-A6E19E5FB74C.jpeg

All of these lures look fine just be sure to upgrade the trebles if they aren’t the best quality . I’m sure you’ll enjoy the Whitsundays it’s great fishing I lost a tone of massive fish up there so be sure to bring some heavy and light spin setups so you can do a wide variety of fishing options to . And just some tips 

1 tie the best the knots . Knots like the clinch knot and double uni won’t cut . A uni knot to connect your lures or AG chain knot with big lures and to connect your leaders knots like the advanced Albright or modified Alberto FG and palomer knot work great

2 use reels with good drag if you have a sticky drag you will likely lose big fish . A few of my reels got hot whenever I hooked into good fish from the line going out so fast even with tight drag well a 7kg GT on 6lb braid with a reel with 4kg max drag isn’t good so no matter how tight I put it the line was still coming off my spool fast . Note don’t use reels with light drags unless your doing light fishing 

3 don’t high stick your rods especially if there graphite or carbon as they can just (POP) and break 

4 use sunscreen even though i tan quite easily I still used sunscreen the sun out there is quite strong and you don’t want to look like a lobster so before fishing just give yourself a few minutes to put sunscreen on before fishing and wash your hands after so you don’t get sunscreen on your fishing gear 

5 there are massive stingrays and sharks everywhere so you might lose a few good fish due to these creatures 

hope that helps 

You've already got some good advice Lava.

BUT, for certain fish - All the ones with a bib, which should dive more - fish around structure, sand flats, and rocky areas. Reason being they will get down in the strike zone and hopefully the big bib will bounce them off snags. This could give you a chance of a baz, cod, jack, salmon, queenfish, or trevally. (And even flatties).

Your popper would be good for the early morning/dusk surface bite. Same areas I think. This would most likely be for a jack or pelagic fish.

The Nomad Riptides and lures in the bottom picture would probably best be fished for trevally around rocks or coral. 

Good luck and let us know how you go!

Cheers Hamish

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2021 at 2:31 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

You've already got some good advice Lava.

BUT, for certain fish - All the ones with a bib, which should dive more - fish around structure, sand flats, and rocky areas. Reason being they will get down in the strike zone and hopefully the big bib will bounce them off snags. This could give you a chance of a baz, cod, jack, salmon, queenfish, or trevally. (And even flatties).

Your popper would be good for the early morning/dusk surface bite. Same areas I think. This would most likely be for a jack or pelagic fish.

The Nomad Riptides and lures in the bottom picture would probably best be fished for trevally around rocks or coral. 

Good luck and let us know how you go!

Cheers Hamish