Booked a trip to the Keppels

Ryannnnnnnn

Hey guys,

Just booked a weeks trip up to yeppoon next month. Have never been and am so excited!

Plan on doing most of my fishing from my boat around the islands, popping for trevally around rocky areas and flicking plastics around reef edges in hope for my first coral trout. The Mrs will be using bait, while I try and fit in using some lures in between re-baiting her hooks 🤪 

Does anyone have any experience in the area / know of where to start sounding around? There's so many islands so I think it will be overwhelming on where to go - I'll be like a kid in a lolly shop!

Have a big fuel tank with 250 litres of fuel, so can travel out to more remote islands.

Thanks!

The furtherest Keppel island is less than 20 nautical miles away so not too far, but if you wanted to go out to the Barrier reef islands than you would be more than double that, and Gladstone could be closer to them. I can't tell you where to fish as it has been nearly 5 decades since I was there, I actually took my boat up there  a few years ago to fish the Keppels  but my motor's CPU module died 50m from the fuel dock so that killed that idea.

All the closer islands around the keppels are pretty much flogged clean. Wider is Barren Is which is good for Spanish Macks at times early in the morning and late afternoon, but getting one to the boat is hard due to the sharks. Further to the North is Flat and Perforated Is. They are very heavily fished too but being much further away most can russel up a feed there in a day usually. Otherwise to do real good you have to  head out 80+ kms and find new ground. The further you go the better. Red Emperor, Trout, Red Throat etc.

There have been some spanish macks in an area between Barren Is and Outer Rock called Greasy Alley recently/ and Man & Wife Rocks.

Starter marks will get you there, but watch for green zones in those areas. http://www.fishntales.com/gpsmarks/qld/yeppoon.htm

As for the Trevs look for current lines and water collisions off the end off the points and islands