Kayak sounder and transducer mount

GregOug

The railblaza mount is an ideal transducer position for shallow water or "creek basher" style kayaks I reckon. Only go for a through-hull mount if you don't intend to fish shallow waters. Not having the option to remove the transducer to drag kayak over the ground is a pain in the bum!

This eliminates the problem. 

Edited by samsteele115

I see that rail mount getting annoying and in the way.

Other options are to sikaflex the transducer to the hull (inside kayak) although key is to not let air bubbles in. 

Or if your want something where you can remove the transducer, sikaflex a foam housing to the hull, with space cut out (of the foam) for transducer to fit. Then when setting kayak up for the day, fill the cutout with water and push transducer in...

2 minutes ago, Terry H said:

I see that rail mount getting annoying and in the way.

Other options are to sikaflex the transducer to the hull (inside kayak) although key is to not let air bubbles in. 

Or if your want something where you can remove the transducer, sikaflex a foam housing to the hull, with space cut out (of the foam) for transducer to fit. Then when setting kayak up for the day, fill the cutout with water and push transducer in...

Hi Terry

My Dad and I tried that about 4 times, each time trying it with new things, but all following the same principle. The sounder worked once, but since then it has just been a dud. We ended up taking it out as there is no point having a big block in the middle of the yak. It is a Lowrance Hook 2. So that's why I think I might look into this...

Cheers Hamish

2 minutes ago, Terry H said:

What happened to determine it was a dud? 

Mainly just the fact it only worked about 1 out of ten times (tried it multiple times each method). We also did numerous tests to check the battery was full, cords were all working, etc. I also read a couple similar things on the Lowrance Hook 2, so that contributed to it as well.