Treble hooks - replace or not?

Old Scaley

After seeing @benno573‘s thread about a lockdown stocktake, I thought I would drag out the many and varied lures that I have bought over the years for specific trips or just picked up in the bargain bin. Some are just cheapies and some were quite expensive. Some have had some use and some have been patiently waiting their turn.

Anyway, a lot of them now have surface rust (at least) on the hooks. Most are trebles but I have used singles on a number of them. Pretty sure this won’t be the last lockdown we have so I am thinking that my next lockdown project could be to renovate my lures. The question is do I replace all the rusty hooks, or do I just give the points a touch up with a stone if they are not too bad. Or a combination strategy of replacement on the better lures which I know I will use sometime and a sharpen for the rest? I have previously tried soaking a few cheapies in vinegar and water to dissolve the rust but that didn’t really work too well. 

What do you champions do? And does anyone have any suggestions for brands that are available in bulk packs that are an acceptable quality at a reasonable price? I don’t want to replace 100 trebles at $2 each. 

Thanks all. 

Hi Steve

I do believe it is worth replacing trebles on lures that have rusted hooks. To do so, you'll need split ring pliers, which can be a bit of a hassle. If your lure has slightly larger split rings, you'll be fine, but if it has small ones (for example, the size found on your average 'bream' hardbody type lure), you may need to get one with a really small hook at the top to open them up. From memory they were about 40 bucks, so pretty dear.

If your lure only has a tiny bit of rust then a quick sharpen should suffice, but if they are a bit more rusted then I'd definitely replace the lures. I'll also be interested to see what cheap trebles people use - the reason I still have a tray of lures with hooks that need replacing is because I'm not forking out money for the Owner ones. 

Cheers Hamish

OK, to be slightly more helpful ......... I just had a quick look and the VMC Barra 3X (3 x strength) trebles seem a decent buy, and BCF seems as cheap as anywhere with options of boxes of 10 or 25. 

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/vmc-barra-treble-hooks/M119605.html?dwvar_M119605_size=6&dwvar_M119605_packpieces=25 Pack&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIianE-oWm8gIVVSUrCh1_wgr1EAQYAiABEgLY4fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds