Barra in the Nerang River?

goldiefisho

Hey everyone,

New member here. I was out in the yak the other day and came across a fish acting strangely around some structure in the Nerang River. I could have sworn it was a barramundi from what I could see above the waterline, but since they're basically like unicorns up here, and I've never seen one apart from the battered variety I think Im probably mistaken. Add to that I've only been fishing for about 3 years so I'm almost certain to be wrong. Anyway I'd still be interested to know what everyone thinks. I've added a couple of videos so hope it works. 

Apparently they are in a couple of stretches of the Gold Coast canals as well.  I was at the tackle shop about 6 months ago and met a guy who had been chasing them.  The owner Doug Burt confirmed they are around.

And a friend of mine hooked one trolling in Coombabah Creek a few months ago.  He lost it at the boat but confirmed the species.

Hi @goldiefisho

I think you can say you're one of the few people to have seen a barra on the GC. They're there if you're dedicated enough, I see plenty of people getting them in the canals. apparently they're in the Brizzy River too - but one species at a time for me. First I needa crack those threadies!

They are definitely in the Noosa too. I see lots of photos from there. It's interesting really. I'm sure ten years ago no one was getting any barra in SEQ!

Cheers Hamish