Didn't know this

ellicat

3 hours ago, christophagus said:

agreed. great doco

I remember watching that show a while ago. At first I thought wow, that is amazing. Then I thought about it and realised that I had fallen into the trap that a good nature documentary never does - the anthropomorphic idea that animals are only here for our pleasure and see and feel things the way humans do. So we have, let’s face it, a bit of a nut job free diving in freezing water and having a quasi sexual relationship with a creature that is so crazy that it beats itself to death after reproducing. We are supposed to believe that an animal which has no understanding of what humans call love takes a fancy to this dropkick who doesn’t know how to live out of the water. Who knows why the octopus behaved the way it did? 

Harsh review, I know. Having said all that, it does make a great story and anything that shows pictures of live fish taken underwater gets my attention. Now Paul the octopus that could predict Germany’s fate in the soccer World Cup some years ago, that was a real octopus!

Good article, Brian.

14 minutes ago, Kat said:

Hey @Old Scaley.  Yes I understand your comments about the anthropomorphic aspects - also understand depression and how nature can really assist in a cure!  However I think what I took from the doco was more the amazing footage - how the octopus surrounded itself with shells etc to evade the sharks and outwitted a shark trying to eat it etcetera etcetera - still a good watch IMO - considering the Kardashians were the most popular DVD rental back in the day

Definitely a great watch @Kat.  The underwater world always astounds me. And definitely didn’t mean to make light of an illness that makes life near impossible for so many people. I need to find an emoji for “tongue in cheek” (or maybe one for “I am being a real a-hole now”).  

17 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Thanks for the article Brian. It was a good read. 

Who's caught an octopus before?

Cheers Hamish

I have accidently caught plenty but I want to catch more of them but on purpose. 

I did spear one years ago at a friends place in Sydney. His mum gave me a hard time... and I wasn't aloud to eat it... Therapy has helped. 🙂

20 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I remember watching that show a while ago. At first I thought wow, that is amazing. Then I thought about it and realised that I had fallen into the trap that a good nature documentary never does - the anthropomorphic idea that animals are only here for our pleasure and see and feel things the way humans do. So we have, let’s face it, a bit of a nut job free diving in freezing water and having a quasi sexual relationship with a creature that is so crazy that it beats itself to death after reproducing. We are supposed to believe that an animal which has no understanding of what humans call love takes a fancy to this dropkick who doesn’t know how to live out of the water. Who knows why the octopus behaved the way it did? 

Harsh review, I know. Having said all that, it does make a great story and anything that shows pictures of live fish taken underwater gets my attention. Now Paul the octopus that could predict Germany’s fate in the soccer World Cup some years ago, that was a real octopus!

Good article, Brian.

I started to write a similar thing... but chickened out 🙂 

I used to (and still do a little) work in the film industry. It has wrecked movies like the Octopus teacher for me... 

57 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I caught a blue ringed octopus years ago near the port. Thought it was just some sludge initially. Ended up keeping it for a couple of weeks at home feeding it on yabbies. Let it go back in the river. Quite a pretty creature.

That is really cool. We get them on the lease from time to time.