Coffee

Donnyy

Hi all!
Do any of you go fishing for several days in a row? If there are no benefits of civilization there, then how do you prepare coffee for yourself? I have never been away for more than one day, and a thermos of coffee was enough for me for half a day. I would like to hear the advice of experienced fishermen.

Thank you! Good fishing eveyone!

I don't fish for long periods anymore, so I just take a thermos of boiling water, a jar of coffee, a small bottle of milk and mix it up in a travel mug out there.

Back in the day when I would fish for longer I'd take a little gas stove, billy kettle and the rest to make it up onboard.

I guess either way you could also use a coffee bag or make a plunger pot.

21 hours ago, Angry51 said:

Never had a lot of luck with thermos's they always seem to be cold when I need them.

I have gone through a few thermo's in my day and most were underwhelming to say the least. Either fragile with mirrored vacuumed glass on the inside to stainless ones that just didn't keep the heat in.

I then bought a genuine "2L Thermos"  due to the fact that we ditched the old non genuine one we had in frustration, that one would not keep the water hot for any length of time (4-5 hours at most), and I must say that I am very impressed with this genuine Thermos, with out preheating it or anything, I just put in boiling water (1.8L) and after 36 hours I couldn't leave my finger in it for more an second or so, as it was too hot.

Having said that if you are out fishing for a few days, depending on if you are staying onboard a boat, a small gas heater and a pot would be my next go to for coffee, plus having one on board you could also do a small hot meal as well as coffee. On my old 26ft'er we had a 3 burner portable camping stove connected with a gas bottle so hot food and coffee were sorted, had to keep the misses happy!  On a smaller boat, a smaller burner would still do fine. Plus added bonus that if you catch a fish, it can go straight on to a pan. Doesn't get much fresher than that. 😃

The absolute best thing I have ever bought for keeping something hot or cold is the Mountain Designs 900.  https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/hydration/water-bottles/mountain-designs-hydro-900-insulated-bottle/BP90166863-black

I bought it to take out on Swains this year and I would make tea in it to take out and it would be scalding hot until I came in at lunch time.  I now use it for cold water for golf - the small top on teh spout can be a bit touchy as with regards to being fully closed but it keep stuff super hot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 4:16 AM, Ed. said:

I have gone through a few thermo's in my day and most were underwhelming to say the least. Either fragile with mirrored vacuumed glass on the inside to stainless ones that just didn't keep the heat in.

I then bought a genuine "2L Thermos"  due to the fact that we ditched the old non genuine one we had in frustration, that one would not keep the water hot for any length of time (4-5 hours at most), and I must say that I am very impressed with this genuine Thermos, with out preheating it or anything, I just put in boiling water (1.8L) and after 36 hours I couldn't leave my finger in it for more an second or so, as it was too hot.

Having said that if you are out fishing for a few days, depending on if you are staying onboard a boat, a small gas heater and a pot would be my next go to for coffee, plus having one on board you could also do a small hot meal as well as coffee or you can make in it. On my old 26ft'er we had a 3 burner portable camping stove connected with a gas bottle so hot food and coffee were sorted, had to keep the misses happy!  On a smaller boat, a smaller burner would still do fine. Plus added bonus that if you catch a fish, it can go straight on to a pan. Doesn't get much fresher than that. 😃

I appreciate your advice, thanks a lot! Bringing a pan looks like a very good idea

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, l-likes-to-fish said:

either a thermos of boiling water and a french press with some nespresso coffee ground or i had previously bought a small kettle and methanol cooktop to boil my water on the go (still french press as it is quick and easy)

also i don’t enjoy powdered coffee hence the french press if you want something better than packet coffee pop down to kmart or woolies and you can pick up a cheap french press then all you need is your favourite brand coffeee grounds and should be set