A Coombabah creek experience

Bretto77

2 minutes ago, Neil Stratford said:

Yes you get sick of seeing this over and over again . IMO this is hooning ,  Dangerous operation , speed noise etc etc .Were their vessels impounded ? .That’s a tight waterway with not too much room for error. 
Neil

You are absolutely correct. It is covered under the hooning act by QLD police. I was told that by a police officer when I rang about some fools in that creek once before. I don't know if vessels were impounded but at least one was towed past us. I tipped my hat to the occupants of that vessel too😜.

We spoke to one of the officers and he said they had been hit hard in the hip pocket. I suspect that legally he can't give much away.

12 minutes ago, ellicat said:

A juvi cobia for Kat. Wow, would never have expected to see that

It was a bit of a surprise. I have never caught one up there.  Though about 12 months ago, a mate of mine caught a slightly larger one off the Jabiru island rocks in the south branch of the Coomera river, which is not far away from where Kat got hers. I remember being surprised at his capture too. 

7 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I was surprised to get a 55cm one near Peel one day a couple of years ago when fishing with @Another Wazza. I guess they've gotta grow up somewhere.

I watched a video of a guy landing a mammoth cobia in the northern end of the bay. It apparently went 40kg.

I have only ever caught them around the reefs out of Cairns. Never weighed them but landed some that went 120 and 130cm. They made a good account for themselves on an 80lb handline

I know nothing about them down here.

3 hours ago, Bretto77 said:

brandishing the  "candy lights". 

I thought that you were doing to say that the candy man appeared, as that slimey character can access his candyshop mansion via saltwater creek. 

Glad the hoons got done. I was fishing here
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TLqS4CvA4XhupaPH6 recently and had to duck into the mangroves for cover as an inconsiderate old fart on a jetski with full face helmet and protective gear tore up the 3-4m wide creek as fast as he could go. He didn't even notice that I was there. Felt like gathering all the dead logs and branches and creating an obstacle to make his high speed exit from the creek a little more interesting, but decided against it.

25 minutes ago, turdle said:

I thought that you were doing to say that the candy man appeared, as that slimey character can access his candyshop mansion via saltwater creek. 

Glad the hoons got done. I was fishing here
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TLqS4CvA4XhupaPH6 recently and had to duck into the mangroves for cover as an inconsiderate old fart on a jetski with full face helmet and protective gear tore up the 3-4m wide creek as fast as he could go. He didn't even notice that I was there. Felt like gathering all the dead logs and branches and creating an obstacle to make his high speed exit from the creek a little more interesting, but decided against it.

Probably very wise of you not to have done that. Though these days you may have been able to claim that you identify as a beaver.  In my experience the vast majority of jet ski operators do very little for ensuring that they don't create a stereotype...

12 hours ago, Bretto77 said:

The vast majority of jet ski operators do very little for ensuring that they don't create a stereotype...

Yep, my cousin followed me to the pin on his jetski because he wasn't confident avoiding sand banks. I drove as if I was a jet ski and maintained 60+m from all anchored boats or the shoreline when required. He zipped past anchored boats with just 5-10m clearance. I stopped and told him the rules. His response was that fisherman and boats shouldn't block the channels. I told him I was fishing for the rest of the day and he could make his own way home.