New years day 2023

Bretto77

I didn't know where Jabiru Island was so looked it up. There's some nice looking whiting grounds all around. Surprised they have been so hard to get ! Have you tried drifting around to find schools ? Might pickup a flattie or two doing that.

I got a pony fish last week and afterwards couldn't grip a yabbie to feed onto the hook. Slimy things.

56 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I didn't know where Jabiru Island was so looked it up. There's some nice looking whiting grounds all around. Surprised they have been so hard to get ! Have you tried drifting around to find schools ? Might pickup a flattie or two doing that.

I got a pony fish last week and afterwards couldn't grip a yabbie to feed onto the hook. Slimy things.

It all looks great. So many options in that creek. I have been fishing it for well over ten years now. In the last couple of months things have been unusually unproductive. Not sure why. Maybe the whiting have been hammered and just the stingrays are left in good numbers? Or perhaps there is some repercussion of the last few seasons playing out? Something is going on anyway because even pickers in the old faithful spots are far more scarce than they used to be.

Having said that though, yesterday far far away from that creek we struggled on the whiting front too.

That report is yet to come.

40 minutes ago, Daryl McPhee said:

I haven't seen any difference in the number of whiting or where they have been this year. The Xmas/New Year period can be quiet due to the amount of activity on the water. We did chase a feed land based around dusk at Runaway Bay just after Xmas and got a couple of nice fish for not much time invested. 

No photo description available.

There's some nice fish there 👍. I am sure that @Kat will be stoked when she sees your reply 😂. We have not been getting consistent results of late anyhow. We must be doing something wrong 😂.