Blackfish (Luderick) locations Brisbane

sailor_chick

Hello!!  This is my first post....  a very short background....  I grew up fishing from a very young age... and well a year ago i reconnected with my dad after 30 years, i'm 51... my best memories with my dad were always fishing...  And well, we as a family when i was a kid, used to fish at Queensport car ferry terminal before the gateway bridge was built with alot of success.... My dad is keen to go black fishing....  Although, as i haven't fished in years, blackfish a winter fish?   I live in Wynnum now, and there seems to be alot of weed around the esplanade just after the Royal Qld Yacht Squadron in the mangroves... Anyone fished there?  

I recently was at the Murrarie broadwalk near the old meat works site, i'm sure we used to fish for blackfish there too.... Has anyone done that with success?

In the day we'd also fish at Fisherman's Island... weed on one side (where the boat ramp is now), fish on the other on the rocks... 

Just wondering if anyone can give an insight to what are some spots now as i'd love to take him out....

Any other shore fishing sites too welcomed...  I have fished for whiting at the lota leads but too far for him to walk, especially when the tide is coming in... got caught that day sinking in sand! hahaha😆

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Hey @sailor_chick

Welcome to the forum. There are still blackfish in the river around Murrarie and the Gateway Bridge, but the only spot I have seen fishing well for them in recent times is under the Fisherman's Island bridge. I think you can still collect weed there on low tide to the right of the boat ramp. I've tried once in the river around the mouth of Breakfast Creek and would be interested to hear if you had any luck. And I think they are a Winter fish as well. 

welcome to the forum.

They are allegedly a more common fish in winter, however, I believe they are around all year (like whiting are a summer fish but you catch them all year).

I haven't targetted them specifically around the brisbane river, however, have caught several larger ones in breakfast creek in the cast net and one off a sandy beach in the river at new farm as well.  i have seen people fishing for them along breakfast creek and as previously mentioned by others around the boat passage at fishermans island.

good luck and look forward to seeing how you go with it!

I have seen lots of luderick well into the mangroves during summer, usually the larger specimens around the 1.5 to 2kg mark and often in water only an inch deeper than their bodies.

I would be trying around some of the now defunct wharves like Incitec and maybe up in the Hamilton reaches or possibly Fort Lytton for them. 

• 6 months later...

I’m standing here looking at the sun rise over the fisho island bridge right now wondering if you still can catch black fish there. Used to fish it years ago and it was great. Might trying it out tomorrow night and I’ll let you all know. My question is, where can you get weed these days?

another spot if you want a drive is the road bridge at Hastings point.

That bridge is still the best location in Brisbane for consistent luderick captures....we need more spots like it.

Several times now I have seen good schools of luderick immediately at the bay end of the Brisbane Port along the rock wall....boat access only though. 

Deepwater Bend does have good luderick but berley is essential to concentrate the fish.

I saw a guy a few years ago with half a dozen in a bucket at the end of the Woody Point Jetty.