Fishing spots in Brisbane?

Jordan20

Heya

i just moved to Brisbane from a different country, looking for some spots to creek/river fish around Macgregor, best of accessible by bus as I don’t always have a car.

Also, I got a cheap rod off of Kmart, and I think I’ll just get some shrimp from a Cole’s. I heard from some friends that’ll be enough for a start. Thoughts?

Hey Jordan, welcome to the forum. 

I would suggest scoping out a park near you if you're interested in fishing the Brisbane River. Most are in walking distance of a bus stop. A simple rig using a sinker (I would suggest about a 3 or 4 ball sinker to get started), swivel, about 60cm of trace to a 3/o or so suicide hook should get you catfish and river perch in the river if you cast out towards the middle. If you fish with a smaller sinker like a 0 ball and smaller baitholder hook (1/o) and cast towards the bank, this should get you bream with the potential for a flathead or cod. This method works best around rocks. If you can get some mullet or freshwater eel, buy some wire trace and some 6/o circle hooks. You'll have a chance at a bullshark doing this, but they are only around in good numbers in Summer. Also, you're not meant to use prawns from the supermarket as they can have diseases in them. Some Tweed Bait prawns or similar from a servo are much better. Even better is if you can catch some shrimp or prawns yourself, which you can get in a cast net or opera house trap.

Cheers Hamish

Do not overlook your local freshwater creeks and ponds. The headwaters of Bulimba creek and its tributaries hold freshwater mullet, eels, the odd bass, tandanus and the ever present tilapia which are a declared noxious species ( Google them if they happen to fall into a frying pan they are good eating)

Cheers Ray