etec on allison

pete8862

Hi Pete welcome to the site like Feral said if the motor is set too high it will get to close to the surface and cavitate .Not sure on the hull of your boat but mine being pressed alli in tight turns the ribs on the hull cause air bubbles to travel under the hull into the prop causeing it to ventilate to over come this it is nessary to trim motor in as I turn and trim up as I come out of the turn.Quite easy with a bit of practice.

my old boat did this!

try dropping the motor down 2\" from the transum! it will also plane out quicker! and prevent cavitation!

but if you can feel drag or unstable steering at high speeds put it back to where it was!

if you get your hands on a manual for that motor it will show how to mesure motor to transum for correct opperation!

mine is 22\" from bottom of transum to lowest facing point of engine brace(the bit underneeth the engine bracket where the transum hitts if the motor dropps down)

i have tried down and up positions to find the best drive and have found that 2\" below manufacturs recomendations is best for no cav!

hope this helps?:huh:

regards Ian

The position of the motor will depend on what you want to use the boat for.

Skiing/ towing tube where high speed turns happen frequently. Lower the motor a notch at a time and test.

Straight line and slow speed turns where the cavplate is less likely to leave the water a higher motor position is better.

It will create less drag in the water. You will reach the correct rev range of the motor giving you the full 75 HP that you paid for. thus a better top spped and use less fuel.

What revs is the motor doing at flat out. This is an indication of also of how high low the motor should be placed on the transom.

Richard.

Archived