fix an outboard for the fisho

old.salty mick 1983

hello there as you are wondering as im ready for the day i have to service my say 1985 Evinrude outboard thiswas on the boat id get in future as you see thiswas really the case as thiswas my 1st ever Evinrude outboard on my next boat in future as you see thiswas really the case as i needed was to learn on these outboards these was my first ever V6 outboard thiswas really be my 1st ever Premix outboard in Future As Far i knew thiswas really be my first ever V6 outboard as thiswas my 1st ever Premix V6 outboard and i knew This Was the outboard for me this was be my 1st ever V6 outboard can you give me advice on these outboards in future when im got tobuy these outboards on my next boat that got these outboards tell me what i needed was to know on these outboards as far any issues i needed was to know when buying these older outboards in case i get a boat with these older motors what are any issues on these outboards id needed was to know in case i have tofix them or repower the boat in case the outboard was no good what are your views on this my friends 

johnson 150hp GT outboard 1985.jpg

1983 evinrude V6 outboard motor.jpg

Spare part availability will be your biggest issue hanging around the Johnson / Evinrude berths.

In saying that they were good reliable engines without many problems...fuel line connectors aside.

Internal corrosion on these old models would have to be a serious hazzard not to be ignored.

I would be looking at a brand that is still operating....Mercury, Honda, Tohatsu or Yamaha....the old yamahas has issues with the oil metering and lots of guys disabled it and went back to premix.