Always getting snagged! Tips?

G1V

Fishing in Brisbane river around structure and especially the banks with sinker swivel setup I’m getting about 70% snags. 

I can easily throw s float on but I was hoping someone could suggest a technique. Rigging change or ideas on how to avoid snags in rocky areas. 

or is it just part of the territory?

Thanks mate you e been awesome helping. If on boat would dropping straight down help instead of casting away from the boat?  It’s odd we fished a certain spot once and did really well no snags and then came back sand marker snd snagged all day?!

but I’ll try this rig and see how we go. 
thanks again.

You don't say what rig you usually use, but if you are using a standard rig running the sinker to a swivel, then I've seen it suggested that running the sinker right to the hook can reduce snags - and when I've tried it I think it may have helped. I guess the idea is that when you reel the line in, the sinker sits immediately above the hook and 'shields' it from snags. The sinker and hook then act as a single unit with the sinker leading the way and if the unit encounters a rock, the sinker is more likely to just bounce off, taking the hook with it. A ball sinker would make sense for this and it would have to be big enough to provide some sort of shield - so there are trade-offs. At the very least, it probably reduces the number of snags simply because the single-unit is less likely to get caught up than two units - hook and sinker - flailing about independently in the vicinity of rocks. If the sinker does get caught up, it is more likely that you can free it by pulling the line away in a different direction. This was what I found when I tried it out at a spot where I was getting a lot of snags on rocks. I got caught up twice and was able to free it, which rarely happens if I snag the hook. If you do give this a try, please post the results, as my sample size is pretty small.

Of course, it is also possible to get snagged because a fish takes your hook and runs for cover. This may need a different trade-off - give the fish a bit of slack to work with, but don't allow them much drag. I find this can be necessary around piers where the fish charge underneath as soon as they're hooked.

I have been using a locked running sinker recently will good success but I have realised if I am using 60lb mono for the hook to swivel and 60lb for the swivel to swivel sinker portion I will lose a decent amount of sinkers. To combat this I have been using 120lb mono as the swivel to swivel portion and managed to usually break the 60lb and keep the sinkers

I guess it depends on what's more valuable to you, or what gets snagged more, the hook or the sinker. 

But you can generally protect one at the expense of the other, anyway you look at it fishing bad snags is always a frustrating experience, but it can definitely pay off big time. 

If your not getting snagged then odds are you ain't fishing in the right spot.