Schultz and Nudgee Creek This Arvo

Dan23

2 wheels wrote:

hi guys I may just join in the shultz raiding party not sure bout saturday maybe sunday :)I'l get the angels out for a swim

The more the merrier. Just remember to pick your target. If you're after Cod bring some heavy leader. Bream will smash anything in there (Kev got one 31cm using 20lb leader) so don't bother with any less than 8lb and for Cod 30-40lb. Some of the structure is pretty nasty especially under the bridge.

Dan23 wrote:

Couldn't help myself so I quickly ducked in to Nudgee Creek again this arvo after some xmas shopping. Got two hookups that I dropped. One was a big big flathead well over 70cm. It must have swallowed my plastic on the drop because I gave a big heave to snap it up off the bottom and felt a huge weight. Pulled the thing right up out of the water and It made a huge splash. But the hook didn't set right and she got off. To tease me she went around boofing the surface smashing up baitfish every now and then for the next 30 mins.

Got three big hits on a popper too right on sunset. Must have been taylor or something. I was getting hit as soon as my lure hit the water but had no luck hooking up.

So no fish landed this arvo but still lots of fun. Only downer was I snagged another Sx40. I'm thinking I might go there at low tide and see if I can find them tomorrow. People will think I'm crazy wading out to look under snags.

Tomorrow I'm only taking surface lures so i can't go back to using anything else. My new mission for the Summer is a surface caught fish at Nudgee Creek.

now u see why i don't like to fish 4lb? 40lb is my style

I believe they're up the sunny coast today chasing breambos.

I went there this morning and caught two nice bream, one going 30cm, the other was legal, but didn't bother to measure, just threw him back in.

I then lost my brand new *something* mullet lure that was doing all the damage, and the tide came right up. Headed back towing a SP hoping for a flatty, but nothing.

Ran into Lozzel just before the bridges and he'd had no luck with SPs either.

both bream chased my lure and struck right at my feet, I missed a couple of others before I realised what they were doing by going too fast when the lure was near the bank. There was literally no fight, they jumped on the lure and I lifted them straight up. Never had them do that before.

username_taken wrote:

I believe they're up the sunny coast today chasing breambos.

I went there this morning and caught two nice bream, one going 30cm, the other was legal, but didn't bother to measure, just threw him back in.

I then lost my brand new *something* mullet lure that was doing all the damage, and the tide came right up. Headed back towing a SP hoping for a flatty, but nothing.

Ran into Lozzel just before the bridges and he'd had no luck with SPs either.

both bream chased my lure and struck right at my feet, I missed a couple of others before I realised what they were doing by going too fast when the lure was near the bank. There was literally no fight, they jumped on the lure and I lifted them straight up. Never had them do that before.

:) :)

nice one.. tht *something Mullet lure is mad mullet right? by lively lures

Or it could be a Micro Mullet?

We ran into Dan and Kevin at Shultz yesterday. From what they told us, They'd caught a Flathead and Kev had dropped a big Cod. We caught 3 Bream and a friend had hooked a massive fish which we are certain was a 40-50cm Mangrove Jack, which had bricked him in a matter of seconds. Hopefully he'll become a member and put up the report tonight. If not, me or my brother will do it.

And for everyone who doubted Kevins casting ability and distance (which had included me:unsure:), he can cast bloody far with his baitcasters. With a heavy slug, I've no doubt that he could cast 100m+. It is a nice piece of equipment that he's got.

To Dan and Kev: Good to meet you and we'll probably see you around Shultz or Nudgee Creek again sometime.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Nah just remembered it was a Jackal Chubby ... I was looking at the Mad Mullet's when I bought it. Got served by Ando who complemented me on my colour choices, I didn't tell him that's because a skinny asian guy with a fetish for baitcasters made me put back all my lures and picked out new ones for me.

We ran into Dan and Kevin at Shultz yesterday. From what they told us, They'd caught a Flathead and Kev had dropped a big Cod.

Kev *always* drops a big cod ... I think he gets confused between Cods and Snags.

We ran into Dan and Kevin at Shultz yesterday. From what they told us, They'd caught a Flathead and Kev had dropped a big Cod.

Yeah don't forget I got zippo. I hooked a flatty on the way back but luckily I dropped it because it was on an sx40 and I always dread dragging flathead up those banks with expensive lures on.

Kev *always* drops a big cod ... I think he gets confused between Cods and Snags.

I cannot agree more:P

Cowfish13 wrote:

To Dan and Kev: Good to meet you and we'll probably see you around Shultz or Nudgee Creek again sometime.

Yeah, good to meet you fellas too. And don't think for a second Kev didn't memorise all those spots you pointed out.:P

We'll have to attack Nudgee Creek soon. I really really want to suss that place out.

Just after you guys went up to the bridge, Jack caught a 10-12cm Bream in the wash of a small water-fall due to the falling tide. But that was it for the day in terms of fish landed. I got 2 strikes from a small Flathead which missed the plastic on its 1st go and then missed it again. And I also dropped a small Bream after it was hooked for 2-3sec:(. Fraser missed 2 good strikes from decent Bream, but I don't think Jack had any more action at all:P

I also managed to fall down a rocky ledge and get as a result, I've now got 4 stitches in my leg:P Yay, what a good christmas present:lol:

That sux.

I remember we were talking about you falling down those ledges. I reckon I'd weigh a good 30kg more than you so I better be really careful.

It's a pretty dangerous place that schultz with the dodgy overhanging ledges and infestation of massive red bellied blacks. Not to mention the crazed bike nerds who scream obceneties at you if you dare to place a single foot on the bike path.:laugh:

Oh and lets not forget all Mackmauler's friends.:dry:

But all in the name of fun.:)

I was being a bit of an idiot so if you just stand on the edge and act like anybody should, I doubt that it would ever happen to you:lol:

This is what happened; I had just lost my plastic to a snag and the leader was gone as well, and as Dad was coming to pick us up in 10mins or so, I didn't think it was really worth completely rerigging. So to pass some time while Jack was still casting, I saw an old rusty pipe sticking out near the edge of the embankment. So, maybe because of the sun exposure or dehydration because of lack of water, I thought it would be a good idea to try and see how strong it was:P:lol:. Well it wasn't very strong and it broke and I went down as well. I landed on my shin on the bitumen wall and got a big gouge nearly down to the bone. Seriously.

Oh well, I won't be doing that again:D.

Cowfish13 wrote:

I was being a bit of an idiot so if you just stand on the edge and act like anybody should, I doubt that it would ever happen to you:lol:

This is what happened; I had just lost my plastic to a snag and the leader was gone as well, and as Dad was coming to pick us up in 10mins or so, I didn't think it was really worth completely rerigging. So to pass some time while Jack was still casting, I saw an old rusty pipe sticking out near the edge of the embankment. So, maybe because of the sun exposure or dehydration because of lack of water, I thought it would be a good idea to try and see how strong it was:P:lol:. Well it wasn't very strong and it broke and I went down as well. I landed on my shin on the bitumen wall and got a big gouge nearly down to the bone. Seriously.

Oh well, I won't be doing that again:D.

Oh to be young again:)

Cowfish13 wrote:

We caught 3 Bream and a friend had hooked a massive fish which we are certain was a 40-50cm Mangrove Jack, which had bri

I think your mate should watch this an understand what he was dealing with lol :huh:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM3T5jJIJuk&eurl=http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=121625

Dan23 wrote:

I thought you weren't allowed internet Kev. I didn't buy that rod. I'll wait and get a Megabass Destroyer with a DC7.

that'll cost u at least 1000 if u shop around. if u support local business, prepare 2000 for them.

i am saving for a UL combo now. imagine playing a 3cm bream on 1-4lb rod...can't wait. i'll get back to work asap

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to catch a Cod with my new rod so I went and luckily got one.

Only about 40cm though @ Nudgee Creek on an Sx48. Tried bigger lures but couldn't get a touch so had to downsize. Fight lasted about 5 seconds lol:laugh:

Yep Rocket that's the same camo shoes. They're getting close to their used by date.:P [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/cod-caa501b8bd6c6ec7da911e4d0dc90c04.jpg

post-1402-144598439105_thumb.jpg

I dunno. Used to catch really big cod up North on bait.

Haven't gotten a big one on a lure yet, but have really only just started trying. Where I fish down in NSW there doesn't seem to be any cod. Never got one or heard of anyone getting one even on bait.

Yeah, I dunno it might be. I don't usually measure fish these days. I was just guestimating on that one.

I dunno why I've never seen any cod down there, it's not muddy there so maybe that's why?

Now I've got a nice heavier spinning outfit I'm going to spend a fair bit of time throwing bigger lures around trying for some better sized fish.

I still like catching small fish on light lines but I like the confidence of fishing heavier. I was using 15lb today and I'll probably be using 50lb leader when I go down to my Jack spots. Fishing heavy doesn't seem to bother territorial fish like Cod and jacks. Only seems to put fish like Bream off and even then Kev catches Bream on 20lb leader all the time.

Dan23 wrote:

Where I fish down in NSW there doesn't seem to be any cod. Never got one or heard of anyone getting one even on bait.

I guess that's why they are protected in NSW.

Pretty good sized Cod that.

I also like the confidence of using heavier gear. You can get your lures off snags easier, land bigger fish more often and you get to feel the full power of the fish. That said, I've got 4lb on one of my reels but I'm only going to use that for Bream and small Trevally.

hey guys

speaking of cod, i watched earlier today some guy pull 3 cod from the opening of currumundi lake. I immediately recognised the eastuary cod he was realeasing it went about 40cm. Wasn't sure waht the other two were. But its quite exciting for currumundi.

Thanks guys

Dan

Archived