brisbane river session #234 [should've stayed]

AUS-BNE-FISHO

59 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

That's a good report Hamish.

Lunch fresh outta the water and that's a nice flattie.

Your mates miss the best part of the day sleeping in like that, they don't know what they're missing.😉

Thanks Angry, it was a pretty good lunch. 

31 minutes ago, ellicat said:

So that's where all the fish have gone. haha

Good day, Hamish. Do you reckon your mates will get up earlier next time ?

Probably not Brian, knowing them. 🤣

7 hours ago, Neil Stratford said:

Well done on the PB’s . Couple of solid fish there.

regards

Neil

Thanks Neil. 

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Nice work, Hamish. Pretty impressive tailor for the river! And a great flattie as well. I guess that is now your new favourite spot.

Cheers Steve. I do like this spot but it can often be very quiet as well. 

1 hour ago, mangajack said:

Almost August now....the rivers will be mostly bare of predatory fish soon.

Plus August is the start of that horrible brown snot algae bloom every year.

Why do the fish leave the river @mangajack? Is it something to do with the algae?

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Why do the fish leave the river @mangajack? Is it something to do with the algae?

I believe it is so fine it either irritates the fish or clogs their gills and they move to escape it....either right upstream or out into the bay.

A few years ago i saw a fish kill whilst the algae was thick...yet algae introduces oxygen into the water....2+2 = they probably couldn't breathe.  It happens fairly frequently in this lagoon and always in September.

3 hours ago, Doughnuts said:

Nice work Hamish, nothing like resetting the PB's

Thanks Doughnuts. 

1 hour ago, mangajack said:

I believe it is so fine it either irritates the fish or clogs their gills and they move to escape it....either right upstream or out into the bay.

A few years ago i saw a fish kill whilst the algae was thick...yet algae introduces oxygen into the water....2+2 = they probably couldn't breathe.  It happens fairly frequently in this lagoon and always in September.

That makes sense, I don't fish much in August anyways because of school but will keep an eye out for it when I do go out around then and see what difference it makes. 

32 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

Interesting theory on the algae @mangajack

hamish - if you were fishing Saturday morning there is a weekend closure for commercial fishing activities in the bay and river from 6pm Friday until 6pm Sunday. That could explain it. 

My understanding about the reason for the closure is to reduce conflict between rec fishers and commercial fishers in this area. Also an interesting concept

Thanks Andrew, I guess it can get pretty crowded in areas the prawn trawlers are fishing so probably a good thing. 

46 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great session there Hamish, very solid tailor and that's a cracking flattie!!  Out of interest, were you out your way or further towards the city/mouth? No need to be specific 🙂.

Hi KM,

This session was much closer to the mouth, compared to where I usually fish. I haven't had much luck locally recently apart from a few prawns, but going to put in a bit more effort around some closer spots now that school has started again. 🙂