Cockle Banks

Doughnuts

Hi All, just after some knowledge if anyone is willing to share. I am chasing a feed of squid on Friday. I know they are about in the southern part of the bay, but I am time restricted so I was thinking about staying on the Northside. Having never fished the cockle banks is it worth trying this time of year for squid, or will I be wasting my time.? Thanks in advance.!

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Where are the Cockle Banks ? I can never see them on the charts. Somewhere off Bribie...

I've never actually been there. So i got 2 options. Option 1... I do have a few old gps points if I can be bothered turning the sounder on. Or option 2...  when leaving from scarbie, pretty much head towards bribie find a red beacon and look for the other boats. I like the challenge of option 2 haha

Hijack away, the more chatting the better.! I actually run a garmin sounder but I have lent the head unit to a mate and I'm to lazy to go get it back. I will use the mark that mangajack shared on my phone to put me in the general area and see what I can find from there. Not sure if I will chuck a whitting rod in yet, a may drag a worm behind just in case there are any whitting about.

Update, Plenty of whitting about today, everywhere we tried we caught them. Nothing photo worthy but a bit of fun, all released as I have enough fillets in the freezer. As for the squid... well I think my name says it all. Only seen one, and couldn't get it to eat. Which is strange, normally if I can see them I can catch them, but not today. Was only on the water for about 3 hours.