Albert Yakking

Brian D

Well off we went up the fresh of the Albert between the two bridges. Not expecting much action but I had the sounder plugged in on the yak for a trial run so we were able to get an idea of depth and drop offs.

Common depth was between 1 and 3 foot with the bigger holes dropping to 4' and the best spot was 10'. Mind you this was dead low tide on the biggest tide of the year.

At one point we had to get out and drag the yaks accross the rappids to get to the next pool.

Here's the next pool - 2' deep the whole way. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PC290004_AFO.jpg

post-118-144598437728_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys but Aaron you don't have to worry about the attack from the rear - you're too ugly for me, besides you smell like a fish. :S

Yeah Stu it's a big Cod Head - bigger then my head (but not as big as Ellicats! Payback for the stalker comment:P )and it looks like it's been there a while. I don't think it was caught there but it could have died up river and been washed down or caught somewhere else and placed there to stir us up. The water is only 4' deep infront of the head so I doubt it lived there but who knows?

I would rate that part of the river about a 6/10 maybe 7, what you think Aaron.

(Opinion, not argument)

I've caught cod in shallower territory. Have mates that have caught Eastern Cod similarly in shallow stuff. Most of our \"cod\" rivers are pretty shallow in the main with deeper holes. The 10 foot hole could have been the home base for it. Hope it is just a setup though:unsure:

When you catch the partner that will be a 10/10 spot for sure:woohoo:

That's good to know Ellicat, I sorta suspect that the cod get washed down from the stocking, find a hole and grow too big to get out. But that is tragic to think that so I choose to believe that it was caught somewhere else.:S

No point asking Aaron, he can't catch a cod.:blush:

Brian D wrote:

Cheers guys but Aaron you don't have to worry about the attack from the rear - you're too ugly for me, besides you smell like a fish. :S

Yeah Stu it's a big Cod Head - bigger then my head (but not as big as Ellicats! Payback for the stalker comment:P )and it looks like it's been there a while. I don't think it was caught there but it could have died up river and been washed down or caught somewhere else and placed there to stir us up. The water is only 4' deep infront of the head so I doubt it lived there but who knows?

I would rate that part of the river about a 6/10 maybe 7, what you think Aaron.

Its hard to say, it was a monster sized cod head, but I got my doubts as to whether it was caught in there but who knows. Nice section of river plenty of snags to cast at, next time we have to be there at 4:30 am and flog the joint with poppers;) and alas i am quickly forgetting what a cod looks like through my lack of success at catching them in Queensland, Brian so kind to remind me:blush: I might just remind him of where his rod ended up at his Glenlyon expedition :evil:

Archived