comming to brisbane

beggo

Hiya all me and my family are comming over from the UK in june to see my daughter and son inlaw plus our grandson and new addition to the family our new grandaughter who was born in brisbane.

What im after is some information about the fishing over there in a carp angler from the UK and have some knowledge of beach fishing here in the UK.

what is the beach fishing like at that time of year my daughter lives in byron bay.or would i be better off going offshore fishing.

the other thing is are carp classed as vermin over there i have heard you dont really like them but us brits are mad crazy for them here.any way any advice would be greatfully recieved all the best ....beggo

Welcome to the site Beggo. Are you just visiting or migrating. No one around here targets carp much except when some local clubs run a competetion to rid our waterways of them.

No need to go off shore to fish but it depends what type of fishing you enjoy. Surf fishing from the beach in winter is usually very good. Have a look through some of the previous pists to get an idea if type of fishing we do here.

Give me a yell just before you come and i can take you freshwater fishing targeting bass in our stocked impoundments.

Cheers

Ray

Within 20 mins of Byron is the Brunswick river. Great place to catch Bream, Trevelley, Flathead and whiting. Carp are a noxious species in Australia but some people still like catching them. It's more of an inland thing though. If you're going to be at Byron bay then you could head out on a fishing charter from Tweed Heads which is about 30mins north of there.

Honestly, unless you're super super keen on catching carp in another country you will have more fun with native Australian species. They fight really hard and are aggressive so pretty easy to catch.

Also around Byron there is a place called Bangalow that has a small waterway in it which has native Australian Bass.

As for beach fishing, Byron has miles and miles of beaches so it'd just be a matter of finding a Gutter and throwing a line in. I'd stay clear of Byron's main beach as it is usually thick with swimmers and head to one of the beaches slightly north or south of there.

Good luck:)

Yeah mate Byron Shire is fantastic for fishing. You can go inland and catch freshwater bass. Or there is plenty of river, beach and offshore options. Like Dan said the Brunwick is a great place to start. The local tackle shop owner is very helpful and will point you in the right direction. Try some live worms in the river or surf and you are bound to get a feed of whiting and bream.

Check out in the forum the reports section called "Out Of State & Over Seas", there are several reports on the Bruns in there written by both myself and Dan.

Welcome to the site mate.

Angus

thanks fellas really looking foward to having a go at the fishing the shore fishing does sound very appealing what sort of gear will i need do i need beach casting gear like here in the uk or can i get away with a bit lighter gear and can i hire fishing gear while im over there we comming for 4 weeks with a view to moving out there in the future..again thanks for your replies fellas and Rayke i will give you a shout nearer the time and take you up on your generous offer ....beggo

Mate surf rods are commonly used however ii enjoy using the lightest gear possible. Down that way you can fish the surf with a 7 foot 2-4 kilo rod and 2500 size spin reel. This set up will serve you well for everything except the worst weather.

There is an offshore charter that runds out of the bruns as well. Cant remember the name sorry but its well signed. Dan might be able to help me out with that one???

Anyway mate click the link in my footer. This will take you to all the upcoming AFO events. See if any of them are around the same time you are here. It would be a good chance to meet a great crew of guys who cant get enough fishing!

Cheers.

Angus

most of your english gear will work here i still have my shakespearsurf rod from when i was 12 and living in london. there are a couple of good species here for you to chase from the beach look up tailor and mulloway after that look up bronze whaler sharks these are emense fun in the surf. id definately do a charter here it can be awsome at times and if this is your only trip to oz and the budget allows you can fly up north to cairns or townsville cheaply if booked here and do a barrier reef trip i would personally gaurantee it will blow your mind ive only been once but it changed my life it was awsome. as angus said there is some great fishing around here on light tackle check out flathead bream and whiting see if any of them take your fancy. a couple of intersting other spieces are mangrove jack and cod very different to english cod tayste better too .

hope all this helps enjoy your holiday down under

but not to much you wont go back lol

jason

Thanks for the info Faulked quite intresting I think the main area I will target is the surf fishing I have always wanted to taste whiting after seeing rex hunt catch and eat them on his show they look really nice.My ambition is to catch a shark from the beach as well I have always wanted to catch a shark ever since I took up fishing nearly 30 years ago I see them as the ultimate predetor we dont get much chance here in the UK only tope in the summer but they tend to stay down south.

Is there any guides on here on how to handle fish after watching countless rex hunt shows I see some of your specieces carry spines and as Im quite a clumsy **** and after every fishing session I can see a trip to the local A+E hahahahaha.Also I need to find what I can eat and cant eat seems strange were talking about eating our catch to me as I freshwater fish here for carp and everthing we catch goes back looking forward to actually catching for the pot.I also would like to catch a flathead these look like good fighters i see that they can grow pretty big . Im debating whether to bring a carp rod with me its 12 foot with a 3lb test curve can cast lead weights to around 4oz would this be ok for surf fishing or should i get a smaller/lighter rod when i get out there.

well they are the eaisiest reels in the world to use, Totally unbreakable and if by some freak occurance they do you will find something to fix it with from a lawnmower, Best thing about the alvey in surf conditions is the fact that your fingers never miss the bite sensation upon retrive in voilent surf conditions, I have sucessfuly converted about 10 ppl to surf alvey's from spinners

i would like to give them a go will proberly buy one when i get out there all i need is for a couple of you guys to meet me on the beach and you can give me some pointers.My wife is like dont think all your doing is fishing when you get out there hahahahahaha little does she know its going to be 4 weeks of total fishing

if your chasing shark of the beach yuor carp gear will be to light the carp gear will be great for chasing most other species except mulloway you will probably want to use around 10/15lb line for most bait fishing if you go lures you can go lighter for bream flathead etc most fish here in the surf go way harder than lake carp mind you some of the fish i pulled out of the river severn went quite hard bloody long time ago though the charter boats here give you all the gear so you wont need anything for that except a packet of hooks it pays to use nice chemically sharpened ones ill link you a couple of sites for sharks and charters to give you some more ideas
/>http://bluemako.customer.netspace.net.au/index.html

theres some sharks and heres a nice charter
/>http://www.bksfishing.com.au/

AND THE BARRIER REEF
/>http://www.divecruisetravel.com.au/snorkelling/?Kelso-Reef&PackageID=45

good luck with your holiday and enjoy

jason

my daughter and her boyfriend are moving soon nearer to brisbane so will be looking for fishing spots around there will give details of the whereabouts as soon as i get them.are those reels difficult to get used to the casting looks hard but i suppose its a matter of getting used to them.What sort of breaking strain line will i need for flathead and whiting is it a matter of scaling down to general coarse fishing gear 5lb line and small hooks.

Archived