Shane and John@ Kurowangbah

EMP

I was at the lake earlier today braving the rain, trying my luck to get some tillies. Well, luck was not on my side. :(

What saved the day was the pleasant conversation I had with John and Shane, the guardian angels of the Pine.

Kudos to both of you!

NOTE: HEAPS OF THANKS TO SHANE FOR TELLING ME OUTRIGHT THAT TILAPIA HAS NOT BEEN BITING OF LATE. SAVED ME HOURS OF NOTHINGNESS. :)

kriso wrote:

did they say why they where off the chew?

Yeah, mate. Shane mentioned something like the rains bringing in Nitrogen instead of Oxygen or something like that, so that fish get their natural feed more than usual causing nil bait bites. He even exemplified the Australia Day Comp recently when while they were on a boat scouting for schools and having found a few, the tillies would just totally ignore their baits even when tried hard short of spoonfeeding the bastards. ;)

Well, to be honest I didn't quite fully understand the Nitrogen bit but for the record, Shane patiently explained to me the situation. He avoided jargons of the rocket science kind.

Hey Kriso, I didn't go to the park today and just headed to the lake then to Redcliffe and stayed there for half an hour where I got a few nibbles (but still no catch). LOL.

you'll get there i have had countless trips without a bite never mind a hook up. allways look for a bit of structure i reckon near some rocks or some weed etc. but really the more you try the better you will get.

P.S I am crap at fishing so if anyone says something opposite to me then there probably right :P

• 3 weeks later...

Gidday EMP,

Was good to meet you and I hope to catch you on there for a fish one of these days. What I was trying to explain in my piss poor manner was the result of discussions with the fresh water scientists at dpi and some old hand fresh water fishos and fish breeders.

We had noticed the Tilapia progressively shutting down as the inflows into Kurwongbah increased. In a fairly short space of time the Lake has jumped from just below 20% to above 60%. According to all these wise sources a number of factors come into play, the rainfall tends to increase nitrogen levels in the dam and with relatively less oxygen the fish shut down to conserve energy.

There was a small drop in water temp as well which didnt help.

Makes me wonder when they'll be on the bite... hopefully before the 9th of March.....;)

shayned wrote:

Gidday EMP,

Was good to meet you and I hope to catch you on there for a fish one of these days. What I was trying to explain in my piss poor manner was the result of discussions with the fresh water scientists at dpi and some old hand fresh water fishos and fish breeders.

We had noticed the Tilapia progressively shutting down as the inflows into Kurwongbah increased. In a fairly short space of time the Lake has jumped from just below 20% to above 60%. According to all these wise sources a number of factors come into play, the rainfall tends to increase nitrogen levels in the dam and with relatively less oxygen the fish shut down to conserve energy.

There was a small drop in water temp as well which didnt help.

Due to the nature of the dams topography, average depth, large amounts of oxygen producing weed etc. and the fact that the inflows have pretty much pulled up we think O2 levels should be climbing nicely. We will do some pre fishing in the hope of targeting good areas to help the people attending on the day. The rest lies in the lap of the fishing gods.

Maybe I should try the lake soon again while doing my paperwork. I was at the Deep Water Bend earlier today and I got so engrossed fishing and forgot all about my tasks. LOL.

Hopefully, I'll do better in Kurwongbah (paperwork-wise). LOL.

shayned wrote:

Due to the nature of the dams topography, average depth, large amounts of oxygen producing weed etc. and the fact that the inflows have pretty much pulled up we think O2 levels should be climbing nicely. We will do some pre fishing in the hope of targeting good areas to help the people attending on the day. The rest lies in the lap of the fishing gods.

Archived