Ewen Maddock: Sunday 10th Feb

Terry H

True True True...not a sausage!

You might be OK at the boatramp without a trailer...but parking was thin when I was leaving...all the construction workers park their cars on any scap of spare ground...but you might be right on a Sunday!

Only other problem was all the "outrigger sprint trials this way" signposts! Might be a bit busy there this weekend!

Finally got my Outback in the water!

I put in ~4:30 piccaninni dawn stuff...it was as still as can be!

The water was warm...and had a slight sewage odour to it...not good!

Trolled a gold deep diver minow over to the opposite weedbanks whilst throwing a bubblepop...but got nothing.

Trolled along the western bank with 'goldie' and alternating the popper and Ferals' purple minow "Bass Bagger Supreme"...but to no avail.

There was a light, broken up oily scum on the water surface...just enough to trap bubbles. There were HEAPS of bugs drowning on the surface but absolutely NO fish chasing them. It was dead quiet!..did I mention the smell?:dry: :S

The Sun came up around 6:30 and I persevered (sic) for the next hour but didn't get a thing!...may just not have been my day, the fish may well have had a big Friday Night too and were sleeping in!:lol:

The Hobie however, went like a dream (I followed you're advice Lee and got the Turbo fins, ThankYou, they allowed me to set a relaxed stride while still eating up the miles!:evil:) dunnoh if I'll afix the Big rudder that's sitting on the garage floor...The standard rudder responds to minute adjustments and larger turns threatened to buck me overboard!(WOW!:silly: )

It was a good chance to try out where to put the scotty rod holders, where they wouldn't interfere with paddling.(where do you guys mount em?) (Is it just me or is the Hobie 2-piece paddle alittle short?...I got quite wet!

Also although the hull was bone dry, I did get a lot of water in the rearcargo area (I assume through the scupper hole)s. I weigh 105kgs:huh: so I probably leave the poor girl a little lower in the water than usual, but I assumed this would be a dry area. Everyone seems to use milkcrates on the back, I'm now thinking of a more water tight option, like an esky!

Anyway despite the lack of fish, 'Ewan' wasn't a wasted exercise. It made me appreciate Barron Pocket more, Gave mw confidence in moving the Yak both on and off the water as well as strapping the thing to the car!...all it needs now is some GT stripes!:woohoo:

I got the ST Turbo fins! Mal at Hobie was hesitant 'cause they put so much extra strain on the mechanicals and mounts, but those that fail have generally 'raced'! I tried Mals personal Outback at Lake McDonald..and the standard fins were just too 'Busy' for me! but I can see how they'd be good for aceleration.

I haven't mounted the Scotty's yet...I was waiting for your advice!? I was thinking just forward of the Cupholders (yes, it was designed by an American:P )I want to be sure before cutting into the YAk!

Do you recommend the extentions?

yeh a mate has already broken 2 drums on the mirrage drive, ive got the ST's they are great halfway between the two.

IMO the extentions are the most critical part, they allow you to have a rod trolling out either side of the yak close within reach and yet still easily clear your peddling legs, even with longer buts.

if you get the extentions just put the holders where they feel most comfortable, they wont get in the way with the extentions

Lee

Archived