an intersting day...

benno573

Headed down the goldie on Sunday for a general day of mucking around. started off taking the surf ski out and trolling along the rock walls at the mouth of the tweed, a heap of hits, only one undersized tailor hooked, may need to go down a treble size or two me thinks. tide got a bit extreme to paddle against so went for a snorkel. i was disgusted to see people spearfishing along the walls yet again, there are signs clearly stating this is prohibited. :angry: fisheries guys need to start policing this!!! :angry:

if you are interested, saw heaps of various cods (including a few of the blue guys featured in an earlier thread and in (i think) pinky's display pic), some truly huge bream, flathead and moses perch and found the biggest jack i have ever seen hiding in a cave. he would have been at least 70cm long :ohmy: , good luck to the person who thorws a plastic near him!!! :blink:

headed down to fingal head and spun for about an hour. in pretty rough conditions caught a couple of decent dart and three tailor on a 25g slug, nothing too special. bait fished for a bit and caught a fairly typical fingal bream around the 35cm mark, and then, inevitably, caught the headland itself :huh: . i don't normally catch heaps but what you land is generally of a good size. headed to the upper reaches of the currumbin creek hoping for something. all that was caught was two stingrays and an undersized flathead on a small grub.

headed home and sat on the couch, cracked a cold one and watched the cricket. a great summer's day!!! B)

benno573 wrote:

if you are interested, saw heaps of various cods (including a few of the blue guys featured in an earlier thread and in (i think) pinky's display pic), some truly huge bream, flathead and moses perch and found the biggest jack i have ever seen hiding in a cave. he would have been at least 70cm long :ohmy: , good luck to the person who thorws a plastic near him!!! :blink:

sound's like you had a great day. Just wondering did you snorkel to see all these fish? The jack would have been an awesome sight.

i was snorkelling along the south rock wall at the mouth of the tweed. i always see heaps there but struggle to catch anything other than rocks!! :laugh:

You can fish there with a line any time you like - note it is in NSW so you will need to buy a recreational fishing licence (i think it's $30 for a year) and different size and bag limits apply - including all cod are protected and bream are 25cm, tailor 33cm, whiting 27cm etc. make sure you check all the regs - especially the NO SPEAR FISHING WITHIN THE TWEED RIVER OR WITHIN 50M FROM ITS SEAWARD ENTRANCE. :angry::angry: :angry:

floating pilly's there is a tricky option as the tide and wave action along the wall can border on extreme at times but good luck to those that try, take a lot of hooks!! :laugh: best bet i think is to sit out from the wall in a boat (or on your surf ski/yak) and flick plastics in at the wall. i have been absolutely bitch-slapped by some mammoth creatures along the wall, and after seeing old man jack i now know why!!!

Northern NSW is a lot closer than people think and there are many very fishy rock walls, headlands, rivers, creeks and beaches from the tweed to Lennox. it's well worth the drive most of the time and i'm happy to pay the $30 for the licence. B) you'll find some awesome surf breaks as well if you're that way inclined.

Yep. Northern NSW is way better than SEQ from my experiences. I always have a ball down there. Far less developed so for land based anglers especially there are far more options.

As for the mouth of the Tweed. I've tried bait fishing there too and it is very difficult to not snag or if you do hook up avoid busting off. From what I've read around May there should be a good run of big sea bream along most breakwalls. So that would be a good time to try there for bream on plastics.

Oh and good report mate thanks:)

Cool, i fished at the mouth when i was down there for about an hour, there were big waves though, are the big waves always coming in the mouth? I was using sp's hoping for trevs or somthing but i only got a moses perch and a fould hooked butterbream :P i saw heaps of huge bream and luderick tho. Is it legal to go snorkling and have a line in your hand with a hook bait ect, you could get 100lb mono and a pilly or livie and dangle it infront of the 70cm jack, give your arms abit of a jolt or possably pully you into the cave :P.

sorry maxi... :blush:

i'm sure it's legal pinkey, i'd rather you than me!!! :laugh: it'd probably pull a shoulder out in a hurry, or drag you into the cave with it where you will live forevermore... :laugh:

the conditions down there vary a lot, some swell is necessary for it to work, too much no good.

dusk fishing from april - july is generally awesome off the end of the south rock wall fishing on the "ocean" side. some mammoth bream and tailor have been caught, along with trevally, jew and the occasional rat kingy (only up to about 6kg, but jeeeeeessssssuuuuuuusssssssss... hang on and if they don't "rock your world" in about 15 seconds flat you've done exceptionally well). i have also landed one mackeral, an australian salmon, a few sharks, a mack tuna and, strange as it may seem, a small cobia from the mouth of the tweed and fingal area, all land based! :ohmy: if the river mouth isn't firing, head to fingal head or try the north wall of the river if the SE is howling.

now that i've told everyone this, if i go down there and someone is on "my rock"... :angry: :laugh: :P

coming into winter, i'll be posting quite a few reports land-based the gold coast and surrounds and the sunny coast on occasions. if you're nice to me you might get a ride down/up and i'll show you the fruits of a mis-spent youth haunting the rocks about the coasts. you have to be really nice to get one back tho... :laugh: :huh::P

ellicat wrote:

Sounds like a great day compared to mine. Wish I'd gone with ya.

Does NSW have a fishwatch hotline like Qld ?

i'm not sure on that, will have to check. i just went with the yell and make rude hand signs and proclaim nasty words/profanities at top of lungs method. it worked too, they were 2 kids only about 14-16. i guess i must look scary with a mask on.. :laugh: and i was a bit bigger than them.

might have taught them some new words too, sorry parents... :huh: :laugh: :blush:

pinkey wrote:

Is it legal to cast net in currumbin, (just north of the border in qld) then bring the livies down into nsw and use them in the tweed river or any other river?

If the size of the bait fish is legal in NSW, and they are not feral, and they are found locally, there is no issue at all. Just dont take the net over the border with you, possession of a net is just as illegal as using it.

jeff f wrote:

they generaly dont bother about the net if you have it in the boot of a qld registered car

been checked a few times over the years

i'd rather leave it in the shed and take a couple of jigs hey... or just catch a few just legal (27cm) whiting or just legal tailor and use them!!! :laugh:

Archived