Reel Question? Suggestions?

fishyman

hey guys, i will be onto my next build very soon (GUSA PUR-70-UL) it is 7' long and rated at 2kg

it will be my other breaming stick for using soft plastics but also will be my squire etc placcy rod.

at the moment i am trying to decide on what reel to get to match it.

atm it is out of the following.

Daiwa Luvias 2000

Daiwa SOL 2000

Shimano 08 Twinpower ARC 2000

anyone else got a recomendation? looking for something around the size of the above with same line capacity around 110-120yds of 8lb

looking at trying to get under 300 which i can do from overseas, im just waiting for teh twinpower to start popping up

I have a 2500 size Sol and cant fault it, replaced the roller bearing once in the year I have had it. Plenty of good smooth drag, cant see why the 2000 wouldnt be as good.

Although I know some of the 2000 size Sol's need to be "tuned" a bit. They are a little prone to un even line spooling which can be easily fixed my using the spool spacers they come with

Captain Stabin wrote:

I have a 2500 size Sol and cant fault it, replaced the roller bearing once in the year I have had it. Plenty of good smooth drag, cant see why the 2000 wouldnt be as good.

Although I know some of the 2000 size Sol's need to be "tuned" a bit. They are a little prone to un even line spooling which can be easily fixed my using the spool spacers they come with

Didn't have that problem with mine.. but I guess not all of them are bang on from the shop..

Noel

fishyman wrote:

hey guys, i will be onto my next build very soon (GUSA PUR-70-UL) it is 7' long and rated at 2kg

it will be my other breaming stick for using soft plastics but also will be my squire etc placcy rod.

My last build was on the 70-L 2-4kg wish I went the UL, I have the 2000 sol on mine and it matches up very nicely, would be even better on the UL, what guides and grip configuration u going? and u ordering your stuff from Mudhole???

Lee

um i am using TATSG and TLSG under the new guide concept system, grip will be an matagi custom painted IPS split with custom locking and butt knob

i ordered from therodworks, it was a bit tedious but order went through so hopefully will have the stuff soon.

if i go the SOL ill have to wrap it to match haha

I don't think the gap between an average reel and a super high end one is as far between spinning reels as it is with baitcasters.

You can buy a $200 reel and it will give at least 80% of the performance that most of the exotic stuff will do but maybe not as nicely.

With BCs you really can tell the difference.

My point? Not really worth paying more than $300 for a spinning reel IMO.

Dan23 wrote:

I don't think the gap between an average reel and a super high end one is as far between spinning reels as it is with baitcasters.

You can buy a $200 reel and it will give at least 80% of the performance that most of the exotic stuff will do but maybe not as nicely.

With BCs you really can tell the difference.

My point? Not really worth paying more than $300 for a spinning reel IMO.

dan I agree, I think there are a couple of exceptions however EG big ppper fishing for 100lb + GT's, Reels like the Saltiga Dogfights etc come into there own under these extreme conditions

Lee

fishyman wrote:

rods on teh other hand......this build is costing me a sheet load of cash. approx 400 bucks which is a lot for a kid in year 12 without a job. On that note, anyone looking for a employee? haha

Mate why is it costing u so much??? My build cost me about $250 all up. buying overseas can really save a heap of $$

Lee

I would probably go for the Sol, or Luvius if you can afford it. The spare spool will be very handy when you want it.

Also, if you buy them locally, you know it'll be easy to exchange if you want to. You won't have to send it away and wait ages, just drive to the shop and swap:)

Archived