how to service a fishing reel

dunney

hey guys does anyone have any posts or pages giving a crash course on how to service a reel?or maye the way you do it?

i have done mine a few times( totally stripping them down and re-doing them) but i would like to make sure im doing it right..

mainly things like how much drag grease to use on the drag washers.wear to use grease and wear to use that oil stuff in the reel...

think may help a lot of poeple on this forum.

BTW im talking about thread line reels as i think this is the most popular type

thanks jared

Confused wrote:

also i'm wondering if you can return the reel to say shimano for a service, i have a 2500 fireblood and i think for the 570 i paid for it i should get it professionaly serviced? do they do it?

Yeap you can. You'll have to pay for it (postage & servive), but they will properly service it. Or alternatively, you can just take it to a real tackle store (ie. Tackle World, Tackle Warehouse, etc. ie. Not BCF) and they'll also service it for you:)

most tackle stores will service the reels for you but make sure you leave ur reels to those who u can trust.

i had my reels serviced at jones and they certainly did a good job.

BCF and A-mart won't do anything cuz most stuff there probably know nothing about fishing and they don't do the business of reel servicing.

i donno about tackleworld but be careful if ur going to tacklewarehouse. they f**ked up the drag of the baitcasters and the condition of their top end spinning reels r not perfect as they should be.

mate I would definitely recommend Jones' Tackle.

I got my tiagra serviced there (after I kicked about a bucket of sand into it) haven't used it since but she's looking brand new again:)

They're not that expensive either, Kev could verify, but I think it'd be about $30 for a spinning reel

Yep, from what I have heard. Neil (I think it is) services the reels at Jones and does a great job. Thats where I would be taking the reel.

Sending them off to Shimano mite take a while. My Daiwa has been gone for 2months! Pretty shocking:unsure:

Cheers

Archived