Berkley Vanish - what's the difference?

tacklebox

I never used to think it made a huge difference, leader, mono line etc.

Basically its likes this, when the fishing is hot you can have 20lb mono and a large bait, the fish will still hit.

However...

When the fish are finniky you want up your chances. When I was fishing the Gold Coast with nabs and daniel i was using 8lb invisible leader. Usually this would be perfect. However the fish were real finniky that day and I got nothing on it for an hour while the guys were pulling in bream after bream.

Once I changed to 4lb leader like them, bang, fish one.

My overall point, sometimes it wont matter, but sometimes again, the better quality stuff can prove worth the extra mulah. My understanding is that berkley vanish is like that.

Angus

interesting story angus, would that mean the 'invisible' leaders aren't that invisible after all? lol...

on regards to the question, yeah you can use the fc straight through to your lure as its still fluoro and is supposed to have the same refractive index as the fluoro leader, though the fluoro leader is supposed to be tougher and more abrasion resistant as mentioned above and they've somehow managed to make the fluoro softer so it can be used as the main line..

I looked into this stuff recently and like Captain said fluro sinks and mono/braid floats (except for sinking braid lol). I was thinking of putting Fluro LINE on a spinning reel to avoid having to tie leader knots all the time. I asked Ando what he thought and he said that it is only really a good idea if you're targeting bream in 20 odd foot of water. Seeing as I prefer to fish hard bodies when I can I stuck with braid.

I can vouch for Angus' story as down around Brunswick heads if you fish 8lb on a run in tide you won't even get follows. As soon as you go down to 4 or 2lb you will start getting interest.

I think some of it has to do with the lighter line giving a better/more fluid action as well.

As for fluro leader vs line. I often use 8lb fluro LINE as leader around sand flats and places where there aren't too many hazards. I find it to be much softer and easier to work with than the brittle leader material.

TerryH wrote:

Angus he's talking about the Berkley Vanish spools of line and leader. Leader is the smaller spools with higher abrasion resistance.

aaah see you point Terry. Yeap cool woops. Oh well, point sdtill remains the same. Doing every little thing improve chance of being that much more tempting that the next bait is a good idea :)

Angus

I been using Berkley Trilene 6 lbs as the mainline and Berkley Vanish leader material 10 lbs for the leader.

Both operate perfectly together for most of my fishing situation (bait/lure).

The Berkley vanish is top notch and would recommend it over many other leader materials. B)

No worries Terry. My mistake for not introducing myself :unsure:

Well after the recommendations from Angus and Dan, I decided to splurge a little and get some 4lb Nitlon leader today. I've been using 8lb Yamatoyo & 10lb Vanish leader just in case I hook a nice flattie, but it's probably been putting the bream off :(

I've switched to the berkley fluro leaders recently, I carry 6 pound and 10 pound on me. If the bites aren't there on 10, I'll trade down. If they're stealing my lures on 6, I'll trade up.

I also use 4, 6, 10 pound berkley fireline on my various reels.

Where abouts do you normally fish, and what do you target? When I target bream I find 6 pound vanish leader is excellent with an sx40/48 attached to it.

UNT, any reason why you choose Berkley over the other brands?

Around Brisbane my fave spots are Manly rock wall or Cabbage Tree Ck but I sometimes venture out to Bribie or Noosa and hire a tinnie with my bf kreel. The usual suspects are bream, whiting, flathead & the odd squire.

I'm yet to catch my first fish on an HB and have only ever caught 1 fish on an SP. We have a week long trip to Noosa coming up so hopefully we'll get heaps of practice in. :woohoo:

tacklebox wrote:

UNT, any reason why you choose Berkley over the other brands?

Without spending big money it seems to be as good as and better than a lot of the other brands.

Around Brisbane my fave spots are Manly rock wall or Cabbage Tree Ck but I sometimes venture out to Bribie or Noosa and hire a tinnie with my bf kreel. The usual suspects are bream, whiting, flathead & the odd squire.

I'm yet to catch my first fish on an HB and have only ever caught 1 fish on an SP. We have a week long trip to Noosa coming up so hopefully we'll get heaps of practice in. :woohoo:

Get yourself an sx48 ( or sx40 slightly harder to cast ) or two ( look for a colour with a clear bottom ). These are gun bream lures. I've caught tons of bream @ Schultz, and Newstead with them landbased, and just about everywhere in the kayak. Also caught cod and flathead with them, and have heard of plenty of other species.

Archived