BATMAN'S Maiden Yak attack!! Sunday 13/4/08

batman

Hi Everyone!

I will be picking up my new Prowler 4.5 on Saturday and will be hiring the missus a prowler 13 to go for a fish.

We live near the CBD so at this stage would like ideas on where to go? I have heard Pine River is a good start for Bream?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated taking in to consideration that we are newbie paddlers and novice fisherman to. Hate to admit this but the missus catches more fish than I do when we go out!! :laugh:

Cheers

BATMAN :woohoo:

Baroon looks like a go'er and I might plan that one for a next weekend.

By the way I am not sure if you guys use it but Google Earth is F$#kin awesome when it comes to planning and studying the area that you are going to go to.

Really awesome stuff!

Batty

Mick

I picked it up from Rosco Kayak & Canoes, they have a great selection. They matched BCF's price of $1799 and through in a paddle.

To hire was around $45 per day and they have trailer/roof rack hire.

I got mine not only to fish but for fitness and exploring.The missus is going to hire a few diff options to try out before we buy.

Bryan

Hi all

Another question:

I was in at Rosco Kayaks today and I asked the question to the lady in regards to man handeling and lifting the kayak on to the Ute. I picked up the Prowler 4.5 and OMFG she is not a light weight is she?!

I have an '05 Commodore Ute that is running a roof rack single bar on the cab and my custom fit "cocky perch" on the rear - same height as the roof rack obviously.

Getting this big bertha up and onto the roof rack is going to need Terminator type muscles I reckon! Ok tell me to HTFU...but I am only a little fella! lol!

The guy at the shop reckoned that I should lay the Prowler at the rear of the ute....lift her noes up onto the rear then slide her on via pushing the rear. I am nearly 6 foot and I lifted this boat up in the shop and I nearly popped a grape!! ffs!

Any tips!

Batty :S

jeez thanks fella's kick a yakker when he is down! lol! :laugh:

Na should be all good, I have the ladder rack on the rear it's gonna be interesting until I get used to doing it a few times!

I pick up the ladder rack tomorrow, having it made up and then getting the boat Sat morning and going straight out for a paddle.

Said to the missus she is on her own on Sunday as I am going FISHIN! WOOHOOO!

Batty

Edit: Sorry, misread your post. Thought you had the much lighter Prowler 13 (a good 5kg or more lighter!) Still, They're a relatively easy to maneuver kayak. The handles are invaluable when it comes to moving the yak around.

You could try doing some weights, then you'll be able to lift the yak a little easier. Alternatively I know some guys rig lifting mechanisms or systems to help them lift it.. I think there are some examples on AKFF (Australian Kayak Fishing Forum)

I had my maiden voyage down at the Gold Coat (south port), just to get used to the Prowler and get comfortable with the set up. After a few adjustment I was flying along. I wasn't intending to catch fish just to have a paddle. I purchased the boat not only for fishing but also to get some upper body fitness, I must say I am writing this pretty pooped and I will be stiff and sore tomorrow, I tell ya! There is nothing quite like yakking along and next minute I was seeing dolphins twenty feet from me...truly astounding and in that moment it was worth the money!

Backing up Sunday the missus was astounded to see me brite eyed and bushy tailed at 5:30am I popped the prowler on her wheels and walked her down Shaftson ave much to the amusment of the passing cars. I launched her at the Norman park ferry terminal (much to the amusment of the ferry capt). The only problem was that the tide was going out and it was like a train! So I hopped on and just went with the tide heading for Tenerife all while flicking a deep vibration lure just to see what would happen. I loved the way the lure vibrated and swam just like a little fish. I felt a few bites but was astounded to not hook anything! Damn Bream! They were there cause I saw a few fish jump. I went all the way to Tenerife and then paddled back towards Norman Park. On the valley side of the river I found a Yak Harbour, serious....I pulled the yak up on the mud bank and the tide rushing round the pillings I tried my luck but nothin. I know I was probably fishing in the wrong spot but it was just fun being out there.

Time to head home and I let about 50m of line trowl behind me and all of a sudden bang, I nearly fell out I was so excited!!! She was a little fighter, I got the fish to the boat and it was a good sized Bream, I had hooked it through the eye (felt a bit bad about that!!) anyway used a lip grabber and celebrated with a whoop! Trowling on the low tide next to the rocks must have been the go.

I have been reading up heaps about fishing but I def want to tag along with Angus and TerryH to get some proper tips.

The main thing is I had fun...huge fun!

Bryan

P.S The missus took care of putting the yak on the car, she said to tell you boys she is the real superhero fish yakker!! lol! ahahaha!:woohoo:

Thanks Fella's!

Yes I will be at the Yak fishing camp but only for Sat (I will stay the night and camp)as I have a mate from the UK with me and the Sunday we are flying to Hamilton Island for a few days.

TerryH yeah unfortunately yup I have to pay the man! Work!

Def catch up soon!

Batty :laugh:

Archived