Captains Log Star Date April 20-08

Smithy

Thursday fished on Ymer with Steve Brooks, Dan Brooks (Jr.) and Lachlan Tuckwell (Jr.). Mack Tuna tagged trolling out to the grounds to Lachy on a Evil coloured mini pusher. 25kg Sailfish tagged to Daniel on a Yakka coloured lure by Lachy. Lachy drops one on the swim bait. Lachy gets one about 18kg tagged also on the swimmer by Daniel. A 15kg Wahoo tagged for Daniel. All on 8kg line class. 4 Wahoo chopoffs including one whole wind-on and lure. Wind was 15SW to 20SE.

Friday fished on Ymer with Steve Brooks, Dan Brooks (Jr.), Aimee Brooks, Conor Lynch and Lachlan Tuckwell (Jr.). Decked a 11.6kg Wahoo for Lachy.

DSC06898Small.jpg

DSC06894Small.jpg

DSC06901Small.jpg

DSC06902Small.jpg

Got Tuna bombed a few times and failed to hook up. Dropped a Billy late in the day. 15SW to 12SSE.

Saturday I had Phil T and his mate Ron aboard. Got bait in 21m of water on the way out. Ace! Hit up some close spots for AJs. Smoked 3 times on a Livefibre 10-15, TLD combo. Rubbed us out on the reef. All on while Ron was angling. Phil didn't get a look in. Went chasing Cobia. Got a heap of them all different methods. Ron also got a nice Grassy on a livey. Time to hit up the Sails. Had a nice patch of bait to ourselves but couldn't pull a thing out of it. Reefhunter II tags a Blue and Stripey and drop a 2nd Blue off Cape Moreton. Wind was 15SW to 12SE.

Sunday I had a charter in the morning. Bait was still in the same spot on the way out. Ace! Struggled early down at Caloundra. Had to go Cobia fishing. Heaps kept and a few released. Everyone had fun. Drop charter off and was gunna head out Sailfishing solo. Run into Jeffo and CJ in the river. CJ jumps ship. Turns out to be a good move. Think I fished next to Reef King. We tagged a 35kg Sailfish for CJ.

cjharness.jpg

cjfishboatside.jpg

cjvert.jpg

morefishcj.jpg

Earlier in the day Ofishal Business tagged a 40kg Black, Ace High dropped a Sail and Wasabi near us had a couple of shots. Keneka has a 500lb Blue die on them after tagging it 3 hours in then pulling it aboard 5 hours later.

Monday and my close bait spot is on fire. A full tank of livies and we are off. No good Cobia fishing after a million boats hit the spot Sunday. Start trolling with some potential sponsors aboard looking for some deep dropping country. End up on the East Mooloolaba Canyon. Hamwari the brand spanking new Cabo 32' has allready had 3 shots and dropped one right at the boat.

hamwaricrop.jpg

Troll up the guts of the canyon and at 350m the band pops. Look around and Bill is doing the mouth open shake from side to side thing. Gun the boat. Drag peals off. It comes up again side to side. Gun the boat again. Drag coming off nicely now on the straight but 37kg outfit. Clear the gear and go riggers up. Back down on him.

markhookedup.jpg

A few jumping runs with big belly. Lure is clearly visable trailing behind. All good. Bit of circle work close but we have been on sunset the whole fight. Double hits the reel and I dive for it. I hang on for grim death only on the swivel but then have a green 125kg Marlin penduliming around on 12' of leader extracting full toll.

billmarkhor.jpg

Eventually I get to get a few wraps on him then grab the bill. All done. Pecs won't fold down no matter how hard I try to push them down. Measure him at 2.4m short length on the billrope. Get some piccies then release.

markblack.jpg

blackinshade.jpg

blackatboat.jpg

marknmark.jpg

Try some bottom dropping on allright shows. Do two drops in 350m and have 5 of the 6 baits bitten but no hookups. Doh! Run in to try for a sneaky late arvo Sail but it wasn't to be. Wind was 0-15NE.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived