new to QLD

Buzz

Hi everyone - my girlfriend and I are new to QLD, and i'm looking for some suggestions for fishing locations

We're kiwis from South Island so i'm used to going after Trout and Salmon - can you advise as to what we can catch here in SEQ...we dotn have a boat and only have a Honda Civic to get around in.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated (we live in Aspley)

Buzz

p.s. Oh - i've just imported a set of KickTails from the states and am keen to try them out :)

Mate welcome to the site first of all.

My advice as you live in Aspley, have a look through the report in the "The Lakes" section.

In particular check out the numerous North Pine Dam (NP or NPD) reports. This dam is pretty close to you and a fantastic bass fishery.

If you want to try some saltwater, check out any Pine River reports in the "Brisbane Rivers & Creeks" report section.

Once again welcome mate.

Angus

Mate your in luck.

North Pine Dam has 0 boat access so its land based only anyway :P

Plus you done need a permit (presently) to fish it land based.

No sure what lures you like, but if you fish for trout you may not Tassie Devils or Cobras? These are deadly on bass at NP.

Other good lures include Spinner Baits, Jackal TN50's TN60's, Strike King Red Eye Shads, G-Vibes and other such lipless crank baits.

Angus

Bass in NP get up to 56cm or so. More common arounf the 40cm mark though.

Yes you can just turn up and fish. As long as you stay withing the designated boudaries. These are clearly marked as you turn up there.

These boundaries still leave plenty of fishable area.

Angus

Try to see if you can meet up with someone who knows North Pine Dam fairly well when you do go. It can be a bit hard to get your first few fish when you start. I'm still trying:silly: Some members on this site have caught more than 60 fish in one day from that dam:)

Welcome to Brisbane and the site:cheer:

Hi there

i thought i'd check in and post how we went:

Sunday we drove for the first time to the North Pine damn, seems a nice place.

We tried down by the main area - doesn't seem to be any cut paths - no snakes at the dam there are there?

Reeds near the shore not something this kiwi is used to, so we gave it a crack anyway. We spotted some fish (bass?) rising further out beyonf our range.

Saw across the way that there were some better fishing spots with paths mown - so after a walk around we drove over and headed down.

Was quite nice there - no luck catching anything but we did see a couple of turtles which was quite cool for us as we hadn't seen them in the wild here in oz before.

Later some other blokes came down and fished also - one bass was caught (not by us) and we all headed off about the same time as it got dark.

All in all a good day - no fish in the bin but we had a great time anyway!

cheers

Buzz

Yeah I noticed that in the NSW fishing regs as well. They have certain streams that are fly only, as well as different allowed fishing times for fly (usually longer). I take it that means Trout are easier to catch on bait.

ahh well i've no experience with bass or any other Australian fish as i've yet to catch one!

so i can't make a knowledgeable comparison

but trout can be pretty paranoid/suspicious esp. in the high country.

Buzz

In Qld. There are manny species to catch, litterly hundreds. But assuming your talking about the brisbane area landbased and on lures.. the 2 easyest fish to target would be Bream and bass. The most common saltwater fish is the Eastern Yellowfin Bream. I could litterly write 5000 words about them but ill keep it very short. Size, Usually caught between 20cm - 35cm, But the record stands at 66cm.. Any fish over 40cm is a great fish and over 50cm is something special. Take a wide range of lures from 2cm - 8cm long, but best around the 3cm - 5cm range. They are a strange fish and can sometimes be very hard to catch or fairly easy. They fight good for their size and go well on light tackle, often heading for structure and snags where they often patroll. Taste Fairly good but there are alot better eating fish out there. A very slow growing fish, Im not excatly sure but its somthing like a 35cm bream will be around 20 - 30 years old to give you an idea. They live almost anywhere inshore. From bays, the beach, all the way up rivers to where the water goes brackish and sometimes even fresh. The funnest method of fishing for these fish would be small surface lures. I know quite alot about bream but not much about bass as i have never caught one so someone else might be able to help you out there.

Theres plenty more fish in both fresh in salt but bream are probly the most common saltwater fish, and are good fun.

Hope this helps :). Feel free to ask any questions about aussie fish ;)

Buzz wrote:

ahh well i've no experience with bass or any other Australian fish as i've yet to catch one!

so i can't make a knowledgeable comparison

but trout can be pretty paranoid/suspicious esp. in the high country.

Buzz

Allright mate whereabouts in Nz are you from?

My missus is from Napier in the North Island, we arrive in Brissy in the middle of July.

Spent a few weeks in NZ last xmas, thought it was amazing. Done alot of fishing of the shore in Hawkes Bay catching Khawai, Travelli, Snapper amongst others. Fishing was brilliant.

I noticed you spent a lot of time fishing for trout and salmon, how did you get on fishing for the salmon? I beleive NZ has imported the Atlantic Salmon from the UK to fish many years ago? I spent 10 years fishing for atlantic salmon in SCotland and never even hooked one. Seen plenty get caught but me and the Atlantic salmon were just never destined to cross paths.

Welcome to the site, all you need to know for fishing in and around Brissy right here. Having a go at catching a threadfin salmon must be one of the 1st things to do mate, although I have a feeling I will have a similar relationship with the thready as I have with the Atlantic Salmon. NOn-existant! :(

Cheers

Jamie

Allright mate whereabouts in Nz are you from?

i'm from way down south - Fiordland town of Te Anau

I noticed you spent a lot of time fishing for trout and salmon, how did you get on fishing for the salmon? I beleive NZ has imported the Atlantic Salmon from the UK to fish many years ago? I spent 10 years fishing for atlantic salmon in SCotland and never even hooked one. Seen plenty get caught but me and the Atlantic salmon were just never destined to cross paths.

However due to the control structure at the bottom of Lake Te Anau the Salmon are land locked - Te Anau also has some native salmon however you don't see those too often. Last trout I caught was a 3.5 pound brown trout down the Waiau River. :) There are some quite good salmon spots in Otago and you can even catch them in Otago Harbour off the wharfs.

I am heading back to Te Anau next week and I'm going to try out those Kicktails which so far have failed me - the water will be crystal clear and conditions colder than a witch's tit.

Last survey i heard about The Waiau had 1000 trout per km.

So i'm hoping for a bit more action than the north pine damn has provided so far - though we did _see_ a bloke catch one on monday!

I shall take my camera and hope to be able to provide something of an article for the website.

Buzz

Archived