Threadfin mission

benno573

Hi all,

I am sick of reading these reports about people catching threadfin in the brisbane river when i haven't caught one since i left gladstone about 15 years ago! so one night this week i will be heading out in the boat with one thing in mind - catching a threadie (but will accept a jew as a trade off :laugh: )

i'm not asking for your hotspot, but just a general idea of structure to look for, baits to use and alike. my plan at this stage was to find a drop off near the mouth somewhere and hit it with live baits such as mullet and herring or prawns and hope for the best.

any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

benno <'>-<

Mouth of boggy creek is a usual winner.

Also dozens have been caught land based from Bretts Wharf, so i dont see why anchoring up around that area could not be worth while. Just mind the city cat route.

Live prawns are a great way to improve your chances as well.

Angus

every threaddie i have caught has been off lures, 2inch gulp shrimp in natural,motling,root beer(usdm), 3inch gulp minnow in same colours and atomic prong for the plastics. last session i had they were taking rapala countdown in a mullet colour and poppers.

Have caught many threadies on lures and have found that small lures are a sure thing. Hardbody lures of about 50mm in flurogreen have produced heaps of fish up on the flats in the northern territory. Not too sure about fishing for them in the bris river but this technique might be worth a try if you if you want to boat one on a lure.

Brett

yeh mate, your on the modey. The ledge that runs along infront of the poo shoot and up towards Boggy Creek is also good. Live herring is generally pretty easy to catch so i would go for them for bait. Just note we have had runs from them along the bottom as well as having caught a couple with baits sitting midwater (like 10m down instead of 16. So maybe its worth having one rod rigged with a small running sinker and the other with a heavier sinker and trace.

Goodluck.

Archived