Schultz... Most wiered place ever...

alteclansing

Hey all,

Went to Schultz for the first time (6:30am) with my mates yesterday after reading all these posts about it. When I first arrived, I told my mate... "Mate, this looks like a sewage cannel, water there is not moving at all". My mate replied: "Just you wait and see pal"...

Alright, we walked along the bike way and I saw bait fishes (schools of them) touching the surface and jumping top of water and I though wow, this will be a great fishing place and hope for the best that here will be big fishes here. Ok we found a good spot and got our gear setup and we are using live bait and fresh prawns from Coles...

We were sitting there when the sun comes up and listening to jazz radio in the morning, the weather was nice and the sun is starting to warm up the water and fishes are getting pretty active. Big fishes started jumping in front of us and we all got excited...

My mate started off catching a cat fish... :( and 10 minutes later my line has a solid pull rather than a bit so I thought it must be a cat fish or crab. When I pulled it in... "Mate I have not seen this fish before, what is it, do you know?".... "Nar mate, i have no idea, post it up on AFO and ask them".... Here's the pic, can someone tell me what fish it is?

[img size=492]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Photo0363.jpg

My mates next catch is the most unbelieveable fish ever... It is a giant toad fish around 20cm long. My mate made a comment that Schultz has varieties of fish and you will never know what fish is on the line. Will post the giant toad fish later... A few moments later my mate also saw a shoulder size sting ray floating along the cannel, that was scary...

After a while I got another solid pull, after the pull the fish swim so quick like a bullet and pulling my drag so hard, I was just using an 8lb mono beastmaster with 8lb leader vanish and I knew my line was pushing to the limit therefore I have losen my drag a bit... It just keep pulling

my drag for 1/3 spool of my line. The velocity of that fish is very fast. It stopped for a few seconds and I have tighten my drag a little and start winding. After turning my reel for around 20 times, that fella start swimming out again, damn... 1/2 spool is gone (I'm using a 2500 reel) and is still going. I have fighted for that fish for 10 mins or so and it decided to bite off my leader. By that time, my left arm was a bit tired becuase that fish was heavy... My mates believed its a small shark, what do you guys think?

Anyway how, Coles' fresh chunky banana praws are awesome, $10 lasted me 6 hours... I was a bit annoyed and p*ssed about that bust off, so I went and bought 10lb fireline and 12lb vanish yesterday arvo and I will go there again next week to fight again!

At the end of the day we caught 3 cats, 1 mullet, 1 bream, and that unidentified fish and a bust off. All fishes are released.

Cheers

Hilary

post-2904-144598456635_thumb.jpg

yeh first pic is a little jewy, nice catch mate.

your bust off may have been a stingray, judging by the lengthy runs. Was their headshakes? or did it just sort of lunge and take drag off your spool? When you made some ground on it was it like pulling in a big deadweight?

other than that it may have been a shark.

Keep up the good work mate.

LIVE_2_FiSH wrote:

yeh first pic is a little jewy, nice catch mate.

your bust off may have been a stingray, judging by the lengthy runs. Was their headshakes? or did it just sort of lunge and take drag off your spool? When you made some ground on it was it like pulling in a big deadweight?

other than that it may have been a shark.

Keep up the good work mate.

hey mate, it just lunge and took drag off my spool, the fella is not too heavy at all... So we believed it was a small shark

Good stuff even a small jewie is an awesome catch.

Just on a side note be careful using supermarket prawns. If they aren't caught in Australia then they can have diseases that'll infect our local stocks. Not having a go or anything not many people realise.;)

Dan23 wrote:

Good stuff even a small jewie is an awesome catch.

Just on a side note be careful using supermarket prawns. If they aren't caught in Australia then they can have diseases that'll infect our local stocks. Not having a go or anything not many people realise.;)

Oh really!!!! Geeees...

Archived