BATMAN Returns to Noosa

batman

Well I have to say that after this weekend I am in love with Noosa! :lol:

I got up to Noosa pretty late Friday night and after pitching a tent in the dark and then getting organised with my Yak stuff I was running a tad late Sat morning. I arrived just as BillyBob and my fellow South African Vaughn were heading out. I launched about 20min after them and by the time I got out there I could see Bill and Vaughn in the distance. I rigged up the lure to my Baitrunner 3500 and attached a Slimey I had got from Davo's Bait and Tackle. Being out with Bill and Vaughn was great to watch what they where doing, being new to fishing and the area I marked a few landmarks for future reference. So after a few hours we didn't get a bite, the wind was Northerly and fish at Noosa don't like that wind....so home we paddled. You can see that Bill does this a lot.....I think I am going to start calling him Tug Boat because he left Vaughn and myself in his wake.....he had the car packed and ready to go as Vaughn and I were just sticking the sand!! :D

Bill was taking a well deserved break after his Thurs/Frid success so I headed out on Sunday morning launching around 5:30, I was a bit tired and sore from paddling my ass off the day before so my plan was to stick close to the headlands along the Noosa National Park and try and catch smaller fish, plus I wouldn’t have to paddle that far home............yeah rite! This is where I made another nooby mistake and I have to say I am a bit embarrassed telling this story but hey it is pretty funny......(Sorry Bill I was a bit sheepish to tell ya!)

I was just off the 3rd point look out and who do I see saying hello but Billybob going for his morning walk to the headland...........Bill must be in tune with the fish Gods at Luguna Bay because as he turned his back to walk on my line was peeling off faster than a speeding bullet! Now this is the problem I had........

I had been trolling a Baby Crank D40 on my girlfriends Berkley Drop Shot IM6 7'2'' 2-4kg graphite rod married with a Flueger Trion GX-7 (It is rated to 4lb/195 yards!!!) I was not intending to hook up anything huge maybe a few small flat head/Bream...smaller fish. Yeah rite.....next minute I am on the Jacky Chan express out to sea!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I tightened up the drag as much as possible but the rod was bent over so far I still don't know how it didn't break (plug for Berkley Drop shot rods!!) The fish must have taken 100 odd meters of line and I started to think I might get spooled here! I laid on a fight with him....back and forth we went for a solid 45 minutes!!! I thought I was winning the battle but every time I caught a glimpse of him BANG ....he would run on me again. I was the one running out of puff not him!!! :shock: After what seemed a lifetime I had been pulled/drifted nearly out to Jew Shoal a good few clicks......... I then decided that I would break the rod and die trying to get this fish onboard than go away empty handed........I started to pump and turn but this puney little rig just would not handle this fish at all.......the best I could do was get him about 10-15 yards from the boat....and then I saw what it was.......it came up close enough for me to see what looked like a Tuna (Bluefin I think) probably around the 65-75cm range...maybe bigger (not sure how much that would weigh in at?) I seriously contemplated grabbing the line with my gloved hand and was thinking of reeling him in hand line style but then I thought holy crap what if it cuts my hand off, what if I fall out the boat!!?.......I know I was totally flustered at this stage. So I let him run one more time and then gave it everything I had. This time I had him closer but he then he started going round and round the yak...he then came up near me but then just took off again ...the drag was on nearly on full and PING he spat the lure....! I sat 2 clicks off Luguna bay laughing and laughing and laughing....in fact I laughed all the way back to the beach at the comedy it must have been to watch. Talk about taking a knife to a gun fight! Tuna 1 - Batty - a big shiner! :twisted: Then again I was so excited that I actually had experienced a fight like this.

Earlier in the week I had ordered for pick up on Saturday a Shimano "Ian Miller" (WTF is Ian Miller?) Shimano Raider two piece Finesse Bream 7'6'' rod with a Shimano Symetre 2500FI reel, plus I bought a Shimano Iron fist series glass rod as a back up to my Taipan rig for trolling in the sea. (I think I might get a Baitrunner 4500 as my two Luguna bay rigs.....) So armed with this experience I was rearing to go on Monday morning!!!

Backing up long paddles three days in a row is a big ask and I was pretty pooped when I woke up......but being based in Brisbane and only getting up to Noosa every so often I had to go again. The wind was slightly stronger than expected but I pushed on to the headland. I took a breather and looked to the horizon only to see a "water spout" a small twister out to sea.....I took a pic but you really have to see far in the distance to see it in the pic....pretty amazing. I paddled all the way to Alexander Bay with a deep diver and a gold bomber trolling behind me .....but nothing. I pushed on to the Sunshine Beach headland rigged up a lure with a slimey and out to Sunshine I went... I turned and then took the trade winds home. On the way in I hooked up a small flathead, a small sweetlip both I returned to the sea.

All up it was an amazing weekend and I reckon the more I get out there the more I will learn and maybe....just maybe I will earn the rite to land a big Spaniard.

Tell you what I won't be taking a pen knife to a machine gun fight again! lol!

Cheers

Bryan

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/berkley.JPG

post-2993-14459845685_thumb.jpg

Awesome trip and report mate, sounds like a great weekend even though you lost the tuna and were worn out from all the paddling. No doubt you will be back up there again soon, armed with knowledge from this experience and your new rod.

Cheers,

Matt

Just a bit of advice on the ilne grabbing: If you're grabbing the line make sure you don't wrap it around your hand several times. You only need to just grab the line and pull him in through the water. This way if he takes off you can easily release the line.

You're a lucky man for being able to hook up to a pelagic and get towed around:P I'm still trying:D

As I'm sure would have found out, sometimes it can be good to have others out there with you. It might have only taken one person with you that day to either land it for you, or keep you calm(er) and have a more clear head through the fight and there could have been a completely different result.

Top stuff mate, you get big bonus points for effort.

Here is the offending Lure!

Note there are two hooks missing out of the back, there are a few scratches but suprisingly it's in pretty good shape!

I certainly was not expecting this to happen at all, I was only about 800m out from the beach and I was using this rig because I caught a flat head whilst cruising along the rocky points that make up Luguna Bay. Saying that though a chap on one of those stand up paddle boards had said to me that the (pelagic fish)Tuna had been coming in really close to shore as of late.

Batty [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC02019.JPG

post-2993-144598457207_thumb.jpg

mate thats a great report. I've got the same rod and reel as well, just matched up to different rods and reels. Good to see the gx7 did pretty well for such a small rig.

Great story, and a shame you didn't get to pull the bugger in after the mammoth fight. Look forward to the report next trip out there.

Thanks for the compliments chaps but seriosly I am just a noob at this and am really just trying to learn as I go along.

Unfortunatley..... I have this habit of just throwing myself into something, it can get me in a little trouble but I find it is the best way to learn (fast!).

I just find it such an adreniline rush to be in the deep ocean and be one with the ocean, My late father was a gun "waterman" so as a kid I didn't have much of a choice when it came to surfing, sailing, diving and paddling surf ski's etc

Maybe we should plan a weekend in a few weeks up at Noosa? Camp overnight and hit Lugan Bay Sat and Sunday mornings. Maybe do one day in the ocean and the next chasing lizards around the sand flats.

I am off on hols for two weeks so it will have to be after that...

Cheers

Bryan

batman wrote:

Note there are two hooks missing out of the back, there are a few scratches but suprisingly it's in pretty good shape!

I certainly was not expecting this to happen at all, I was only about 800m out from the beach and I was using this rig because I caught a flat head whilst cruising along the rocky points that make up Luguna Bay. Saying that though a chap on one of those stand up paddle boards had said to me that the (pelagic fish)Tuna had been coming in really close to shore as of late.

Batty [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC02019.JPG

wait till i tell anth what his chubby caught :P

batman wrote:

Archived