Early Sat 17th May Morn - Brisbane River Mouth

planetfonz

howdy all! first post woo

had a good session this morning between 2:30am and 6:00 along the rock wall past the container wharves - first time we have properly fished it and after reading a few of the posts on here the last fortnight it was defintely time - we had mainly a drifting bait session - pillies, live herring and gar - action was from the word go. half pillies proved the winner.

all up around 10 x 20-25cm squire, similar amount of chopper tailor with one easily legal specimen kept for a chow-down, half a dozen bream with a keeper in there, a very persistant stingray and several mooring lines.

due to time restrictions we had to leave but for a first go at that place it was an excellent morning.

cheers, benny.

yeah mate i was out there at 7 am with my old man in his boat..

live prawns didnt lose a bait..:(

but we where sitting there near the tanker docks and some huge fish started chopping up the water just 10 meters away (these were like Big mackeral or some kind of Tuna, feeding on a school of baitfish, i could see their bodies breaking the water and they where well over 40 cm long,actually they looked way bigger),

threw my prawn in straight on top of em they didnt touch it, hooked up a lure but didnt get it close enough to them by that time they had moved about 30 meters away.

I seen another guy on a boat right next to them casting his lure right into them but didnt get a hit, weird hey? you would think they would have smashed it since they where is some kind of attack mode..

Dan

flatty_catcher wrote:

I seen another guy on a boat right next to them casting his lure right into them but didnt get a hit, weird hey? you would think they would have smashed it since they where is some kind of attack mode..

That sort of thing always happens with Tuna in the bay. Tailor and Mackerel usually will go for the lure, but Tuna are annoyingly fussy:blink:

Welcome to the site Planetfonz:) the rockwall at the mouth of the river can produce surprisingly good results

yeah by the way they whrere thrashing the water up they looked a bit beefier than taylor, just the size and power in them was quite a showstopper for me sitting in the boat :P ,

they also had that jagged fin behind the dorsal like a tuna or makeral, you could easily make it out..

sorry i should of said, but yeah Makeral or Tunas, they didnt stay for long

Archived