Feed and a half

vonny

Took my son down to the pine near the freeway bridge the other day. Started off very quiet. Michael caught a catty, (kept for the crab bots). Michael started complaining that it felt like a crab was stealing his bait. Told him to keep moving the bait. Started winding in his line slowly then gave it a quick strike. Ended up hooking this beut buck through a claw joint. pulled it up onto the bank and started praying for a buck. End result one buck measuring 19 Cm. Couldn't get the smile off his face for a week.

Cheers

Vonny [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Michael.jpg

post-2088-144598458619_thumb.jpg

uglyfish wrote:

shortie wrote:
Yum. Keen tying it up. i just let em run around on the boat floor.

bugger that id rathertie em atleaast i know there not gunna bite me friggin toes off

Best of both worlds tip em in a hessian bag, Nice size muddie mate.

Shrimpo wrote:

uglyfish wrote:
shortie wrote:
Yum. Keen tying it up. i just let em run around on the boat floor.

bugger that id rathertie em atleaast i know there not gunna bite me friggin toes off

Best of both worlds tip em in a hessian bag, Nice size muddie mate.

yeah thats good too but they still throw there claws when u cook em

• 3 weeks later...

uglyfish wrote:

yeah thats good too but they still throw there claws when u cook em

Mate they don't throw their claws if you kill them first. If you throw them in live, they tend to drop every leg.

A swift blow with a meat cleaver from top to bottom on their underside solves that problem. ;)

ellicat wrote:

Personally reckon that seems crueler than a quick death.

If I had a choice I'd take the death in seconds in the boil rather than freeze me slowly.

But crabs aren't human so they may not really care:unsure:

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good point, Ellicat.

But seriously, do we have like a some sort of a guideline outlining the ethics as to how to kill our catch? I know we have to do it in a most humane way possible, but what is/are the best way/s? :)

Beautiful crab by the way. I wish I could get one of those one of these days. I'm sure eating one of those ain't a bad experience. Yum. :)

EMP

EMP wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Personally reckon that seems crueler than a quick death.

If I had a choice I'd take the death in seconds in the boil rather than freeze me slowly.

But crabs aren't human so they may not really care:unsure:

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good point, Ellicat.

But seriously, do we have like a some sort of a guideline outlining the ethics as to how to kill our catch? I know we have to do it in a most humane way possible, but what is/are the best way/s? :)

Beautiful crab by the way. I wish I could get one of those one of these days. I'm sure eating one of those ain't a bad experience. Yum. :)

EMP

The most humane way is a fish spike through the brain isnt it? Iki-Jimi or wateve its called.

Of what i can remember the most humane way to kill TOADS (the brown frogs LOL) is to put em in the freezer. There used to be competitions up north for most toads caught and was some good prize money in it. I personally chuck my crabs on ice in the esky i have with me as i havent heard of the brain drilling technique. On that note, what is the fish spike method - how long does it take to kill the crab and where exactly do u enter the shell.

AWESOME CRAB MATE i get hungry just lookin at it.

Cheers

Woody

For Crabs, I believe it is through their mouth area? I think, but I think that the ice method is better. "Apparently" slows their metabolism right down and they go to sleep, painlesslyn (Just what I've heard)

For fish, directly between their eyes on top of their heads. Some fish species you can see a white or black dot showing where their brain is. Very fast method

Archived