Windy and wet Wivenhoe report

WayneD

Raining, check, windy, check, cold, check. What the hell are we doing here?

BigW3105012.jpg

Sel, Steve and I all hit Wivenhoe this morning. The day started off bad for me with my baitcasters drag set way too loose and the first fish saw me end up with a birds nest I could not sort out and neither could Steve so out came the knife.

The fish went 45 and I ended up loosing him over the side while trying to get a photo also lost about 30mins of fishing time trying to sort out the birds nest.

After that it was a trouble free day for me. Except for the fact that I couldn't feel my toes and my fingers wouldn't stop shaking. The 52cm (equal PB) I got next went like buggery and was very welcome. It was actually a double hook up but only got a cattie on the other line.

BigW3105002.jpg

Next up was what I thought was a cattie after a hard hit and good initial run it was just a dour struggle to get it to the yak. I was really surprised to see this rise to the surface

BigW3105007.jpg

at 54cm it was a new PB and I am happy I made the effort to come out today.

My next bass was a new PB at 53cm. This thing hit the trolled lure and pulled off about 10 metres of line before I got it out of the rod holder. After a few good runs he was subdued and I was a very happy chappy. Two PB's in one session, how good is that.

BigW3105010.jpg

BigW3105011.jpg

No more fish for me for the day although there was a rainbow at the end of it all. Smallest one I have ever seen actually.

BigW3105013.jpg

Happy to have made the effort and thinking about going out again tomorrow, after all the inlaws are in town.

Sel got only one (38cm) and called it quits early. Steve got a few around the same size as me.

Lures of the day were a gold bomber I picked out of a tree up the Albert last weekB) and a lure I bought for chasing barra at Lenthalls with. It's a River2Sea downsider 120 in gold/black. It's a big lure the body would be about 100mm long but it was the right colour so I whacked it on. Got the 52 & 53 bass on it!!! They both dive to 4 metres and all fish were caught trolling in water up to 7 metres deep around the edges of the dam.

bretto wrote:

Congrats on the pb's. Good to see a few people getting into fish in the not so favourable conditions. How did the other guys go?

It was cold, wet, windy....

Ended up with 4 bass 42, 38, 52, 48 (FL) and one grunting forked tail mud salmon

Too lazy to work out how to get photo bucket pics up and dont feellike resizing them again sorry. Got work this feature out.

Archived