Camping Lights

Feral

Ok,

As I am starting to do a few trips with my kids, I thought I might invest in a 12volt camping light.

So I had a look around. There seems to be cheap lights, and expensive lights - no mid range stuff at all. So its either less than $20, or $100 and up.

I ended up buying 3 different lights, 2 el cheapo's and 1 expensive light.

The first el cheapo was a "trouble light" from supercheap, cost $6 on special

trouble1.jpg

Not bad, light is in that horrible "bright, but cant really see in it" range, a bit like HID headlights! But more than adequate, and for $6 who cares if it looks a little fragile.

Second one was one of those "UFO" LED units from Ebay.

ufo-2.jpg

The idea is to hang it from the top of your tent so the lights point down. It has the usual annoying multiple switch settings all the LED stuff from ebay seems to have, (Why cant it just switch on and off, not click 32 times, each click lighting up a few more LED's?) But it puts out an amazing amount of light, light sitting in your lounge room, and runs off 4 AA batteries (rechargeables used by me) and is supposed to last 30 hours on a set of batteries. The cost - $12 delivered.

The third one was a quality trouble light.

goodtrouble.jpg

These go for around $120 in shops, this one sourced of Ebay for $70 delivered. It has an aluminium body, heavy perspex cover, heavy duty really long lead. Puts out good strong light. Its a bit hard to use in the tent, as it is a reasonably heavy light, and with the heavy duty lead, not easy to tuck the lead out of the way.

My Verdict?

For me the UFO light wins hands down. Very bright light, no need to connect to 12 volts, very light, hangs easily in the tent and throws the light down. Also at $12, cheap as chips, and small enough to carry a spare or two.

I went down the camp light track not long ago and I end up with a wanker light for everyone(5 of @ $12 ish)for tent use and going to the toilet so on and 2 torpedo lights for the camp group area for cooking so on.. All the light dbl up for fish as well wanker light on the head and the Torpedo gets some lead add to it for under the boat.. Does the trick for me..

O it looks like you should shop around for the torpedo as I pay 60 to 70 $$$ for mine in a camp shop in caboolture..

Noel

i recently purchased 2 similar LED lights to those, about $20 for two of them delivered, 60 LED per light. absolutely brilliant, i use them in the boat at night as well as camping, they can be hung under the tarp or in the tent when camping too. also, mine only have two settings. on and off. :P

In 2005 we went to Cape york even though I have done heaps camping only had cheep lights ( except in the camper I had a 4ft 12volt fluro could call bugs for miles). Thought we will miles from any where better lash out and get a good light bought one of those torpedo lights as they were spose to be the ducks nuts , latest and greatest thing since the candle well 2 days into the cape and it died good thing I had the elcheepo in the car and it didn't miss a beat and I still use it

I have UFO lights aswell. And yes mine click once for 20, twice for 40 or three times for 60 lights. Super bright and not a lot of drain on the batteries. We strung it up on the beam in a covered picnic table the other night when away and it easily put out enough light to play cards under.

Have had 2 LEDs fade out on it, but for $10 delivered throw it out and get another one..

I have used lotsa different lights.

Depends on the use you want it For.

The best i have found for lighting up a campsite. Is a (Burnbrite) light.

These difenatelly are not cheap.

It lights up a campsite really well. The best ive seen.

Its also a good instection light when you are working under a vehice. Rubberised end polycarbonate outer for tube protection.

/>http://www.burnbrite.com/products/lights_portable/lights_portable.html

Archived