NPD 13 June THE NORTH PINE TRIFECTA

Terry H

Went to NPD with a mate from Uni and Lee

I got a small bass near bullockies. I also got a 50cm bass at mcgavins that was tagged. Also got a PB yella (45cm)

Lee got a 43cm yella, and a small bass

My bass on crystal purple mask vibe

lees a mazzi vibe

My yella on a spinner

Lees on a ck40

Oh, I caught a turtle on a mask vibe too... yes.. he hit my lure... as in.. tried to eat it. Yep hooked in the mouth.

Oh, I lost another fish after it hit me on the drop at macgavins...

And lee lost another $50 of lures, I lost another two spinners ... meh

pics to follow

yeah lee just about stepped on a yella

Oh that yella I got, the story is pretty cool

bringing the spinner back through the grass.. smack! yep that's a good hit, haven't felt that in a while :woohoo:

But no hook up:(

NExt cast out, I'm retrieving it, gets near my feet and wtf is that following it (not really paying attention)

Keeps coming closer to me.. OH RIGHT its a 45cm yella following it ... its watching htis thing sooo closely, and I'm running out of water to try and entice him to strike, give it a small rip and a drop but nope he doesn't want any of it... Man thatw as amazing, just watching this yella follow it to the bank, oblivious to all of us around the waters edge and in the water, just following this spinner bait..

Then next cast, same area, bang yep! I'm on:D Got him that time :D

Good onya guys, great to see your gettin some quality fish (bar the turtle lol, an unusual customer! :laugh: ). Congrats on the PB. Did you hit up Forgans Cove as well, one of the pics looks like it was near Forgans (or i'm blind, which is possible :P )?

Me and PlasticF are gunna try and russle up a Mary River Cod outa NPD, coupla guys have got a few lately...

when they tag bass bream flattis etc they measure it to the further most point ellicat so should be same kind of measurement the only thing i can think of is that there mats they measured it on both have the wrong measurement or 1 of them has it 3cm to small or long

I'm talking about the variance between the way two individuals could/do measure the same fish. You see it all the time on brag mats - some curved up and down over the grass some or legs on a yak, some on a flat surface = different measurement shown on the mat.

Someone on here posted the other day that their catch had actually shrunk:blink: [img size=452]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/bmateg.JPG

post-564-144598461723_thumb.jpg

Well done on another good session guys. Congrats on the pb Yella and the recapture too.

3cm in 3 months is a very high growth rate for bass as I am pretty sure that after reaching the mid to late thirtys they grow at about 1cm a year in the wild. Not sure about in impoundments but it is good if fish are growing that quick and would explain the large amount of 50cm+ fish lurking about and being constantly captured.

ellicat wrote:

I'm talking about the variance between the way two individuals could/do measure the same fish.

This year when we tagged, were shown explicitly how to measure the fish correctly (yes they had had some reports of shrinkage after the last tagging!).

Also when doing the tagging brag mats are not used, minimum standard is a steel tape. Preferred method is a V board with a tape permanently attached, so the fish sits against the edge of the V.

Dont forget Taggers are just amateurs keen enough to gather a bit of info for science!

I'm not having a go at anyone Feral nor questioning the efforts of volunteer amateurs.

You don't have to look any further than AFO to see evidence of questionable accuracy in measurements on brag mats caused by variances in the way people place their fish and/or mat!.

It does not necessarily mean the original tagger got it wrong. It's possible any subsequent reporter could get it wrong.:)

ellicat, i think alot of the questionable measurements come from people wanting to get their catch back in the water as soon as possible. i know i was like this when i caught my nice bass at NPD i put it on its tail went to 51ish probably more like 49 if i had done it properly and it had been flat.

but the fact of the matter is, i wanted to get my new PB back in the water as soon as possible so it didnt really bother me.

its not like we are competing for sheep stations now is it :P

I guess that's all irrelevant to what I'm saying Tom.

It only matters when the info is being passed on to the researchers when someone gets a tagged one. Other than that (except when entering FOTM) it doesn't worry me if someone has their mat in a loop to report a 1 metre bass LOL

Archived