Brisbane Bay tours 29.06.08 - report!

benno573

ok, take two writing this, browser just crashed... :angry:

this report covers the goings-on aboard BBT1, tacklebox or kreel can fill in the BBT2 bit...

ok, met up at manly at 5am, all looking suitable frozen. safety briefing, gear on board (my bag in the wrong boat coz i'm a goose), off we go! :woohoo:

headed out across the south passage bar right on sunrise, a bit choppy but nothing too bad. headed up to the 29's off the southern end of moreton. fish everywhere on the sounder, whales on the horizon, here we go! :woohoo:

unfortunately, the fish showing on the sounder were quite scattered and apparently not in a pilchard-eating mood.. :dry: angus was out of the blocks with a keeper trevally, then hooked up on something with a bit more weight and looked quite excited, but everyone else had a giggle when we saw a foul-hooked 20cm squire come up... :laugh:

by this stage our crew was done to two (from four) owing to seasickness. :( :X. danny from BBT tried about 20 spots along the drop off, all showing good fish on the sounder, but none of the buggers wanted to play our silly little game! i was getting a bit antsy at this stage, as were danny and pete, we all wanted to see some decent fish come on board! paul and boon couldn't really give a damn at this stage...:X the decision was taken to head out to square patch and fish in 82-88 m of water. a few drifts then i got smashed and this was no foul hook! :woohoo: a good fight ensued and a 2.95kg (when bled) snapper was boated! benno's on the board at last, 0.5cm off a PB! :woohoo: while i was making my next drop, pete got nailed up the front of the boat. and i mean nailed. it was easily bigger than mine! unfortunately, about 20m from the surface the fish made one last bid for freedom and won via method of pulled hooks... :( bad luck pete, i really wanted you to land that one too!!! :(

after that, things went a bit quiet, i latched onto a trevally (nothing huge or anything) and then we headed home as the SE was starting to come in at over 15 knots... :dry: got back inside the bay and paul (sort of) and boon came back to life and we cruised home in total glass, saw some dugongs on the way home too.

just like to say despite the lack of fish, danny from BBT was awesome. always looking to put us on the fish, moving around constantly, using the motor to hold a spot, really looking after his crew. i will definately be going out on a charter with them again, and would highly recommend them to people, a very professional unit. the gear is good (TLD's and alike), the boat (the centre console was what i was on) was a perfect set-up for fishing 4 people, we only had one tangle all day. they really do know their stuff, unfortunately you can't help bad luck on the fish front. :dry: all reports on the radio were a simliar story to ours so it was universal today.

tallies for BBT1 were:

benno - 8 snapper (1 keeper), 4 sweep, 1 trevally, 1 goatfish, 0 spews

pete - donut, 0 spews (correct me if wrong mate... :blush: )

paul (U_N_T) - 3 snapper, 543 spews

boon - 1 or 2 snapper, 543 spews, best snoring since jeff f at yak camp award.

lastly, i was not aware until the morning but there was a mini comp going on (part of the 2-boat package from BBT) where the heaviest fish landed and kept for the day wins a new rod... i now have 20+1 rods, with a 5'6" 15-24 kg penn stand up game rod now added to the collection. :woohoo:

angus to post pics in due course.

cheers for reading this far

benno

P.S. - really quickly, thanks to mack-attack for recommending the spheros 14000 reel to me. awesome reel!!! :kiss:

Ohh man... it had all the potential of a good day!

Too bad about the fish, but I think we have all been there and done that, and aslong as the operator put in 100% effort then you cant ask for more than that.

And whats doing with Petes effort. 0 fish and 0 spews.... what did he do all day???

bootyinblue wrote:

Ohh man... it had all the potential of a good day!

Too bad about the fish, but I think we have all been there and done that, and aslong as the operator put in 100% effort then you cant ask for more than that.

And whats doing with Petes effort. 0 fish and 0 spews.... what did he do all day???

whinged about having a sore arm from winding in in deep water with a snapper lead on... :P not mch else...

My day was a bit shorter than most. After being out there for only about 30 minutes I could not bare to look at poor Tanya anymore. She copped the seasick bug BAD. In her words "i thought I was going to die". Darren being a good skip, and tacklebox and kreel for being champs, allowed us to get off at Amity beach and wait it out. So not much fishing for me :( But many a brownie point earned! I have since been told by Tanya that "im sticking to the fresh", which is fine by me :)

I am pumped for the next one. As Benno said, despite the lack of fish that seemed universal ocross the board (even John Palermos crew looked like they got 2 or 3 snapper between 10 or so), it was a pleasire fishing 4-1 people on a nice sized boat. Really beats those oversize charters.

On another note, only 3 people on the trip took a sea skickness drug called "steminzen". These were also the 3 that were totally incapacitaded with sea sickness. Just thought id mention that to anyone planning on buying such tablets.

rayke1938 wrote:

Good report and nice pics, shame about the lack of fish and the sea sickness. What did everyone else take to prevent seasickness? Missus is wanting to dose me up with herbal ginger tablets but I doubt their effectiveness.

Cheers

Ray

i popped two kwells in the morning before leaving home, didn't even get slightly seedy at all during the day.

rayke1938 wrote:

Good report and nice pics, shame about the lack of fish and the sea sickness. What did everyone else take to prevent seasickness? Missus is wanting to dose me up with herbal ginger tablets but I doubt their effectiveness.

Cheers

Ray

Ray, Mythbusters did a segment on it and they found ginger to be as good as the over the counter meds. I reckon it wouldn't hurt to double up on ginger and travecalms/quells.

Benno has done a fantastic job with his report so I don't expect to have too much to add. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the operator. The briefing was done on shore and an assessment made of the gear some of us had brought, we left behind a few rods and reels that were deemed "under-gunned" for the day. The teams split into 2 groups of 4, Angus, Tanya, Tacklebox and me on the mightly BBT2; Benno, Pete, User Name Taken and Boon on BBT1. The distinction being that our boat had an internal loo for the ladies. I maintain that Tacklebox will never go back to the bucket I hand her on the tinnies we occasionally hire - she's been spoiled.

The fleet set sail! As Angus' photos show it was a brisk morning - that's me looking like I'm ready to rob a convenience store, Tanya to the left and Tacklebox to the right. It wasn't long after we made it to the 29s that Tanya began a steady decline due to sea-sickness. She was stoic but it was inevitable that we would need to get her back on terra firma. Angus had managed a keeper Trev and had expertly hooked a squire in the freckle (its generally considered an artform in some cultures to present your bait in such a way that it should strike with its arse). Tacklebox had pulled in a Squire and a Pearl Perch both just under sized; meanwhile I had successfully caught Australia at least twice but hadn't landed anything.

This is about the time we needed to get Tanya to shore lest we have our first AFO death at sea. We motored over to Amity and dropped Angus and Tanya on the beach. There was the requisite amount of beach kissing done and we were off, the skipper and we 2 anglers languishing on the good ship BBT2. On reaching BBT1 we were surprised to hear that the fishing hadn't picked up. Our 2 skippers were up against it and were fighting hard to do all they could to put us on the fish. Meanwhile we on BBT2 were reminding BBT1 of our cramped conditions, Tacklebox was continually crossing the imaginary line that separated our sides of the boat. Tacklebox pulled in another squire and a Moses Perch (both on the small side) on this second bite at the 29s before we decided to venture further out to 80 metre deep grounds. I finally managed to get on the board with a small squire (undersized).

Benno was the first to land a good size fish his Snapper renewed our excitement and redoubled our efforts, Pete was nailed by a huge Snapper which excited us all further. I finally pulled in a Trevally that all the other trevors laugh at for its size. By this stage the Travacalm was being less effective on Tacklebox and she was progressively getting sick. She looked in my bag for more travalcalm but couldn't find them - don't tell her I actually found them in the bag when we got home. So the fishing was done and we were about to head back to Amity when Tacklebox decided to burly the water, bad timing - it was great burly.

We collected Angus and Tanya and spent the trip back in great humour talking about the Winter camp next weekend. Tanya was excited at the prospect of calm fresh water rather than this ocean stuff with all the pot holes.

A great day was had by all, our skippers were excellent, unfortunately the fish just weren't there to be had.

BBT2 tally:

Angus: 1 trevally (keeper); 1 squire (ass-hooked too small)

Tanya: duck-egg

Tacklebox: 2 squire, 1 Pearl Perch, 1 Moses Perch (all under-sized)

Kreel: 1 Squire, 1 Trevally (both too small)

Again a great day was had by all and we are keenly looking forward to the Winter camp.

On the seasick subject, both Tacklebox and I got pretty sick on Benno's boat the first time out - we were fishing off Cape Moreton. The second time out with Benno and on this Brisbane Bay Charter we threw back a couple of Travacalm and were right as rain.

I've been sick on Ginger pills :X and Kwells :X before - I think you find what works for you and stick with it - go the Travacalm.

I had a great day despite the fishing being a bit slow. The ride over was pretty smooth and skipper Darren tried really hard to put us onto the fish. Things were looking good when I got the squire and pearlie early on but it wasn't to be. The constant drifting & winding took it's toll and by the end of the day my arms were buggered!

Another difference between the boats is that the centre console model gives it a 360 degree fishing platform, whereas the half cab had a bit more protection from the waves and still ample room for 4 + skipper. Like most people, I highly recommend these guys and would go with them again :) We've been on one other charter before and the level of service & gear on this one was streets ahead.

It was nice to meet more of the AFO crew. See you at winter camp! :woohoo:

pic of BBT1[br] [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1020381.jpg

post-2560-144598463533_thumb.jpg

Sparksie wrote:

Well done Benno on the win.

Looked like a nice day out.

Good report. I've had trouble sitting still reading it, as off tomorrow with Robert Smith up at Mooloolba!

:woohoo:

Can't wait.

:cheer:

ive heard good things about smithy n seen some quality fish posted.good luck n looking foward to the report:)

Very funny UNT:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good to hear a good time was had by most, the operators were well ahead of expectations, and a few fish were caught:)

A couple of good reports in this report to raise a few giggles too - thanks for that.:laugh:

Was it choppy outside or just swelly ?

PS Find the Travacalm Original to be the best for stopping :X (not all pharmacies stock it though as it contains pseudoephadrine - the drug used to make meth amphetamine:blink: :S )

Make sure you follow the directions though - if you wait until you're feeling a bit crook it's way too late.

avomine is getting good reports regarding sea sickness

My wife is a shocker, sea sick on the treadmill at gym

On the boat she keeps her stomach working, nibbles on dried fruit etc, seems to work

Great reports, sad the fish were lazy. To close to the new moon

ellicat wrote:

(not all pharmacies stock it though as it contains pseudoephadrine - the drug used to make meth amphetamine:blink: :S )

Make sure you follow the directions though - if you wait until you're feeling a bit crook it's way too late.

Either that or you may end up sharing a cell with Purcell Jnr.

If it looks like it might get a little uncomfortable then Quells are my favourite as they set your guts like concrete, so drink lots of water otherwise pottytime can be a little uncomfortable.

Archived