Berkley minows

gave the 4" berkley minnow a run today and Ill have to say wasnt to impressed with the action.

It didnt seem to wriggle or emualte a fish at all, very stiff inanimate lure, didn't seem to look like it emulated a bait fish at all?

I felt I had to jiggle it constantly just so it would look remotely like a fish.

Im wondering is this how they are used or have I rigged it the wrong way?

I used a 1/8 hidden weight jig head which was kinda difficult to fit the lure to anyway.

so these lures dont wriggle the tail at all like the squigie minows do?

I know it is confusing but the 4 " minnows are probably a little big for the HWS jigs. They are mainly good for smaller 2-3" bream plastics whereas a 4" would be more suited to flatties or snapper.

You'll want a bigger jig head for those lures. They are also a jerk type bait. You are meant to cast it out and let it sink then jerk it so it darts around erratically. They don't have their own action they depend on the fisherman to give the lure action. If you're just starting out perhaps stick to the paddle and curly tailed plastics at first as they will have their own built in action.

The 1/8 Hidden weight jighead would be fine as long as the hook size is big enough. Normally with the minnow shaped plastics, you have to do all the work with the lure as Dan said. It does work as an advantage by letting you control the action of the lure. Ive caught more fish on these shaped lures than any other type SP so stick with em.

The squidgies all have different tails on them so you cant really compare the action between them.

yeah I think its a matter of technique, getting the braid weight right to match the SP your using.

I am using Berkly braid (the black stuff) 8lb.

But it still feels rigid when I have somthing like a 4" minnow on it.

And yes your right maybe a slighty larger jig head might be better with the 8lb braid I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Berkley Minnows are one of my favorite SP there is very little if any action 3" for bream, Lime Tiger, Mouldy Cheese,Rainbow, 4" flathead, Lime, Tiger, Sardine, Pink Shine, to name a few, minnows work well if you dead stick them bream just love them, jig head i use bream, never hidden weights, 1/20 to 1/6th, for flathead, 1/12 to 1/6 but have used heaver in deep water.

i find around pontoons 1/20 not worked just toss and let sink only move after hit hits bottom and count to 50 then twitch woks for me, in deep water 1/8 or 1/6 TT jig heads i like to let sink and work a bit not much a hell of a lot of times i will dead stick them as well bream seem to love them

[img size=224]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/641_animatedgif5_2-a64ff5dc3b4fed9e2bf7c86331e293fc.gif

squidgie

post-3753-144598466181_thumb.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: your the master at so much good info in a small space mate ... lmao ... btw ... once was enough .... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: my head was reeling still from the first post .... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maxi

Archived