FLATHEAD....NEW PB. Runaway Bay

bretto

Got down to teh canals at hugh tide and managed a few touches but with nothing on offer I headed off to the second bridge and got a nice little 22cm bream and a 48cm flathead and then thing got a bit quiet. I ventured back out to the mouth of the canal and first cast was bitten clean off :angry: must have been a tailor.

Tied another 2 inch gulp shrimp in lime tiger and something hit it on the drop but failed to hook up when I realised that the line was pouring off the reel :blink:

Next cast let it sink and lifted the rod tip and BANG something hits it so I strike and feels like im snagged then all hell breaks lose as my rod buckles right over and line pours off the reel and some very strong head shakes then more line and more line goes out and I managed to turn it around after it took about 70m of 4lb of my reel. About two minutes later I saw a big White flash and though I might have a giant herring but when I flicked my headlamp on I saw a white belly of a monster flathead and quickly got the lip grippers out and hoisted it in supporting its belly and put it on the mat.

As I went to get the lure out I realised that my 8lb leader was scuffed really bad and snapped as soon as I grabbed it.

Brett.

80cm on the mat

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/flat01.JPG

post-2675-14459846474_thumb.jpg

username_taken wrote:

btw, when I saw the first photo I thought it was actually sitting on a fancy stone benchtop in a kitchen, then realised no it was just sand and rocks.

Yeah it swam away really well, Only had to swim it for about thirty seconds. It would be great if they all grew that big and you could take one home for a feed but I am glad to watch the big ones swim away

Schultzy wrote:

bretto wrote:

Awesome capture Brett,

Any lizard over 70 is a good looking fish, yours is a cracker!

Even more impressive being landbased too :woohoo:

Cheers Shultzy,

Was very surprised when I saw the size of it. It certainly will be a fish I will remember for a long time to come.

You get excited when you see them this big. My second ever session on a yak saw me land exactly the same size flatty on 4lb but I had 10lb leader and a 2" SP, no net and do you think the fish would open up it's gob to let me get my thumb in.....after afew nervous attempts I finally managed to land it and now it is my avatar.

Archived